• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Speeding & Insurance Increase

CSparkes

Well few months ago was caught speeding, 78 in a 60 but as in van limited to 50! So a good 28mph over! Woops!

Well finally got round to declaring it to Insurance and it has only increased yearly premium by 30 quid!

Now is it just me, or is that bloody low? Not really a deterrent to not speed lol!

tim

i just rented an apartment. rent between 3 is £1350 but it saves me £10k (genuinely quoted) on car insurance.

that's at least how i look at it.

CSparkes

Well TBH thats kinda sadly what has gone through mind! total cost of 150,000 miles of driving not really sticking to speed limits (excpet 20, 30 & 40's residential area etc...)

Cost = 3 Points - 60 Quid fine + £30 Insurance increse = £90

Not really a lot considering the speeds involved etc.....

Greg

Think you've been lucky Craig, could have been a lot worse, and I'm sure the maths don't match if you was to jump upto 6 points! :down:

Taking your vehicle higher to the red line increases your fuel consumption quite dramatically though! So there will be a small unnoticeable cost there too!

Seems like you've been lucky but remember your insurance should go down each year really, more significantly when you're younger, so you can add what it should've gone down by plus what it has gone up by to get a total?!

CSparkes

Both, i.e if i was too take out a new policy aswell today!

If i was in a car my insurance would be less, but van is expensive as "young drivers cant drive vans well" is what insurer told me! Got to love that line!

Im deffo not moaning, just seems odd to go up by so little. A friend got nabbed at 35 in 30 and 3 points, hes insurance (35 years old) went from 400PY to 700PY!!!!