Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Speeding Bl**dy Ticket!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by CSparkes, Nov 6, 2010.

1. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Well after 5 years on the road, and thousands of miles driven got my first ticket!

So annoyed, yes I know its wrong to speed but lets face it, 80% of drivers speed. Thought it was an unmarked car behind, teased it so if it was and didn't nick me then got me way over limit over 2 and half miles following me for 11 miles :/

Was bloody lucky to get away with just 3 points as was in Van which is only 60 on single carriageways!

Got the full telling off from the copper!

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Sorry to hear it.

I did the speed awarness course a couple of months back.

Driving since 1983 and have a clean license.....pull for doing 5mph over....

So £60 payed license still clean.

....for now.

3. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Well road was caught on is a 2 mile strip at 8am on a Sunday morning NO one else on road, and its between fields and you can see for miles etc... No house and was clocked at 78mph. So as such 28mph over! Over 50% of Speed limit so was VERY lucky! Didnt get offered Driver Awareness as its like Speed Limit + 10% + 5mph which was way over!

Insurance has gone up :/

4. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

FightBack Forums

Ask the guys here next time you get a ticket, they're usually very helpful.

5. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

My mate got caught doing 80 in a 50 zone, he got off with nothing a telling off by the police man, none of us had seat belts on either, but i dnt think he noticed...

I've been caught twice speed 5mph over the limit....and then got taken to court as i refused to pay as one of them was caught on a video camera by a member of the public who handed the video to police... (doing 5mph over the limit, sad b*****s) Anyway, I then lost the case and was given 3 points and fined £120

6. wac

wac Senior Member

I got an SP50 back in 2007. I was pretty lucky since I was doing well in excess of 100 for a while but as the unmarked Volvo had to follow me over two markers I happened to pull off at a junction and come to a complete stop so when he pulled me and I went to sit in the back of the Volvo, the screen in the dash averaged me at 98.9 mph, apparently if it had been over 100 they would have taken my license, as it happens it was a fine and three points. I've been pretty careful since then.

A friend of mine did this drivers awareness thing recently, I wish they had offered it to me rather than having these points drive up my insurance premiums. Does anyone know how long these things stay on your liecence for?

7. samjacksondesign

samjacksondesign Senior Member

I've been caught doing 95 on a dual carriageway, no points, no fine, i was advised by the copper to go onto an airstrip.

Depends who you get i suppose.

8. samjacksondesign

samjacksondesign Senior Member

wac i believe its 3 years

9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Taken off your licence after 3 years, however you still have to declare the points to the insurance company up to 5 years..

10. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

Well insurance only goes up if you inform them :) just don't get caught again and you be fine :)
    A good friend of mine got several points now, but as his insurance just auto renews he never made any amendments or disclosures to his policy.

Obviously, bit a problem if you get pulled again! but least its an option.

I think the biggest problem for drivers and speeding is the wild variations in punishment, from a slight ticking off and some friendly advice to being dragged through the courts. The law is supposed to be dispassionate, but it really does depend on the mood of the copper, what sort of day they have had and how long left of their shift! ... no wonder they are considered by some to be total tools!

11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Also bit of a problem if you ever need to claim on your insurance!

12. Mark Alexander

Mark Alexander Senior Member

Err, you need to tell your insurance company when you renew if you get points, that's kind of insurance fraud, and it could very easily go wrong for you if you try it.

And as far as I know speeding penalties are pretty consistent, especially with the introduction of COFPs.

13. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

@ Mark : I have explained this to my mate, it doesn't bother him in the slightest, the ironic thing is he works for one of the top UK Insurance companies :) as for Insurance fraud, you should be honest with the millage you intend to do each year and should notify your insurance company if you exceed your stated mileage, yet I bet many of us don't obey by that stipulation either :)