Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sound systems

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by philjohns, Sep 27, 2009.

1. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Hi all,

Its coming up to my 18th soon and me and a good mate are planning a joint bash at a local hotel where he works - were only doing it cos he can get it on the cheap but we've got the problem of a sound system - we dont want to hire a dj as they are not only expensive but we also recon putting together our own playlists will be just as good.

Weve thought about using guitar amps etc but not sure how well this would work for a room that takes 100-120 people.

Any ideas?

Were in the Plymouth area if anyones got anything they want to share! ;) haha

2. My dad's in a band who usually play to the likes of that sort of number. I would say that you would need about 5 odd amps and a mixing unit to control input / output, then the source of the music. I would suggest looking on ebay or something like that for a decent mixing unit and amps :) I'm sure Mike will also have some suggestions :)

3. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

Thanks Chris - much appreciated quick reply!

I assume your referring to actuall amps rather than guitar amps. Any chance you could perhaps post a link to something on ebay? I know its a big ask!

Quite a few of our friends in bands so getting hold of decent guitar amps isnt a problem - its just a case of whether we can hook them all up to one ipod etc...

Or we could use a decent hifi and attach speakers but again weve got the problem of power from the amp...

4. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

5. I think that they would be more than loud enough :) you'd just need to have a way of putting all the speakers for just one ipod.. which I know is possible with a mixing desk of sorts :)

Those are a nice set of PA Speakers too :) your mates who are guitarists might very well want to buy them off you after :D

6. philjohns

philjohns Senior Member

So the problem with guitar amps would be having one ipod play through say, three different amps?

Could this be overcome with splitters or is the loss in sound quality not worth it?

My only draw back with buying those pa speakers would be not knowing the exact sound quality/loudness as I cant afford to be buying them and then they be too quiet....?

Phil

7. I will check with my Dad :) he's the man to ask about this :) i'm sure it will be fine with a PA amp and a small mixing desk to control volume :) but I will just make sure for you :)

8. charles

charles Senior Member

guitar amps would def not be o.k for normal music as they'r not really designed to run at full range, depending on the speaker size they are usually more around the mid/lower end would prob burn the voice coils if you played music staright through them at high volumes all night.

i'd say minimum you need:

-at least 1 pref 2 15" subs
    - four 12" cabs with tweets
    - 2/3 amps to run all and some sort of mixer/line driver

rental would be ridiculously expensive

having said that, dj's usually have their own sound systems and would be cheaper to get a dj, give him your playlist and pay him the £150-£250 odd they charge to do the night, plus you get to use their lights as well!

check on myspace also as there may be someone starting up in your area who would do it for free!

it's worth having a dj for the atmosphere to get the crowd going.

9. charles

charles Senior Member

p.s those active speakers would def not be loud enough for a crowd of that size,
    they are only "8 drivers, which would be awful unless you were listening to happy hardcore as they wouldn't reproduce the low end notes at all!

and although the inbuilt amps were built with the speakers in mind they would probably get fried after an hour of abuse.

go passive!

maplin is good if you are looking at buying cheap and selling on.

also if you are looking at gettinga sub make sure the mixer has a sub out or buy a low pass filter