Solo Press - Dissapointing!!

Wayne-O

Very dissapointed with an order recieved from Solo Press, the ink on my letterheads has rubbed onto the back of the others making the reverse of each look a mess, granted they were delivered within 24 hours but is this the downside to a quick turnaround?

Spoke to them about it but they are doing thier best not to refund/reprint, any printers have any advice as to why this may have happened to back up my complaint?

Thanking you

W

Solo Press

Hi Wayne

speaking as a printer, if they have set off on the reverse then they shouldn't have a leg to stand on. As you say this culture of ultra fast turnaround create's it's own problems. If they still refuse to do anything tell them they are not fit for purpose so either reprint or refund, it is not a problem yo have created it is purely a technical issue at their end.

Good Luck

Mark

Solo Press

sorry, just to clarify, this has likely happened due to them being cut to soon after printing, or over inking. There are additives for ink to increase the speed of drying but they create their own problems. If your design had heavy areas of inking then they shouldn't have cut them so early and made you aware of a delay, They have created a rod for their own back by promising fast tunrarounds for everything where some items are just not suited to it. As a printer though I see many customers where tunraround and price is king and that creates the treadmill that they seem to be on.

Personally I would offer the same (or simillar) prices but always allow 3-4 days turnaround, there is no point in sending a job out on 24hrs when you know it is just going to come bouncing back.

Mark

Solo Press

Thanks Mark

Just the advice I needed, will go back to them with what you said.

Will just use a printer local to me next time!! :icon_mad:

Solo Press

What the OP said. Trimmed too soon, the guilly puts a lot of pressure on the sheets.

Next thing you know people will be offering 24hour turnaround on reflex blue.

What the OP said. Trimmed too soon, the guilly puts a lot of pressure on the sheets.

That's given me a flashback to when I was training many years back. Every time we did a blue job you would hear "always remember, blue never dries!"

My boss went to a client once who had complained about a solid blue strip not drying, when he was in their waiting room he picked up a booklet which they had on display printed by someone else. When he went in he promptly smudged the blue on the booklet which had been printed months earlier.

"blue never dries" became a bit of a mantra

Yeah, they took the 'dryers' out of reflex blue years ago - said it was carcigineous...do printers eat ink?!

Can also be the paper - Conqueror CX22 doesn't aid drying!

I agree about the conqueror as well.

I appreciate it feels like a nice sheet and the watermark is attractive but I think a decent 120gsm is as good (and probably runs better) and at something like half of the price.

Mark

Hi Wayne O,

I am really sorry to hear that the letterheads have set off. Please can you supply an order number for the letterheads as I would like to fully investigate this for you.

Kind regards
Solopress
:icon_confused:

Wayne
With so many companies offering 24 hours turnaround the chance for mistakes in increased 10 fold! The main problem is that demand on this service seems to override the printer's desire to want to do a good job.
Also, these companies always require payment upfront making it sometimes extremely difficult to get refunds or reprints when something goes wrong.
Look at it from their point of view, a client's main desire is to have the printed job within 24 hours - where do you get the chance to voice your second desire that the print quality is of the desired, and what should be 'industry standard' quality print - you don't.
Print is a minefield and it should be left to the professionals who care about the quality of work over and above anything else.
Wayne, if I were you I would find a printer that can offer a reasonable turnaround, at reasonable cost and whom you can talk to if needed and who, if he's worth his salt, will not require full payment until you receive and are happy with the job.
Good luck with Solopress . . . it may be an uphill struggle but if they have any scrupples they should offer a refund.

Wayne
With so many companies offering 24 hours turnaround the chance for mistakes in increased 10 fold! The main problem is that demand on this service seems to override the printer's desire to want to do a good job.
Also, these companies always require payment upfront making it sometimes extremely difficult to get refunds or reprints when something goes wrong.
Look at it from their point of view, a client's main desire is to have the printed job within 24 hours - where do you get the chance to voice your second desire that the print quality is of the desired, and what should be 'industry standard' quality print - you don't.
Print is a minefield and it should be left to the professionals who care about the quality of work over and above anything else.
Wayne, if I were you I would find a printer that can offer a reasonable turnaround, at reasonable cost and whom you can talk to if needed and who, if he's worth his salt, will not require full payment until you receive and are happy with the job.
Good luck with Solopress . . . it may be an uphill struggle but if they have any scrupples they should offer a refund.

I agree with most of this, but not the bit about payment up front. Most of my suppliers take cash up front, as do I. The only exceptions being people who are willing to submit to (and then pass!) a credit check.

The real test is if they're willing to address mistakes even after they've taken your money...

Can we help?

Hi Wayne,

I would really like to act this on this for you, please can you supply a job reference number as requested previously. We would ideally like to collect the letterheads, and inspect them fully for you, with view to reprinting them.

We pride ourselves on our customer service, and above all take pride in all our work.

Kind regards
Jo Catling
Customer Services Manager

It is always about HOW WELL problems are dealt with that matters. ^^ Solopress seems to be doing what they can...now.

Go straight back to them Wayne - tell them whats happened... They will appologise and reprint them. Solo are a good bunch.

As am I ')

I used to repair kit for Solo years ago near Southend in Essex - A lot smaller then but the top guys and seemed to be very good people.

Be honest with them and offer to fire back 10% of the print. Set off is common with German Company's as its of the press and in the Guillotine and on the plane.

They should reprint, but to make sure you you dont add to the problem try and make sure you don't have 100% of every colour in your CMYK - try and stay under 270%, research rich black ink coverage etc.

Dissapointed with Solo Press - Bad banding throughout!!

I've recently received some print back from them that has really bad banding throughout. I have emailed them and called but received no response :(

Surprised to hear negative comments regarding SoloPress... I know they've been around a fair while and have got some great kit!

No printer is perfect and mistakes happen, good customer service and the speed in which these problems are rectified is what counts.

Ignoring a customer complaint or a slow response to a complaint is not good enough in my book.

Back