Software to measure maps on screen

Nstocks

Hi,

I have a map that I want to scale and print on A2. I know the dimensions of most of the buildings, so that I can tell if the scale is correct. The problems I have :

I printed a A2 map by trial and error because the map has no scale but after investigation, I found the maps is wrong, trial and error is too long and wastes paper.

I can't measure anything inside Adobes software, for the pure reason of Adobe don't provide measuring tools ( that I know of )

I'm not sure what the Council use, but they have provided me with 2 maps that are to a perfect scale, I have a copy of the original that is to scale ( 1:2500 ).

I know this may sound a bit complicated but I basically want to scale a 1:2500 City map to a 1:200 site Map ( A2 Paper )... I only have a A3 printer so that way I can print half a map to ensure it's accurate, then go to Staples and pay £6 for a A2 print

Thank You

P.S This would be so helpful, if somebody on here just happens to know exactly what I mean... I'm not always clear with my descriptions.

what adobe software are you using? In illustrator you can select an item and see how big it is in the trasform pallete. Then you can resize it to a scale
which will a) be easy to measure when printed with your scale rule b) fit on the A2 sheet.

is that what you mean?

I don't need to actually alter the size of the building outlines, it more like how much I will ' crop ' the map to make the buildings fit on A2... making them begger or smaller is achieved by how much I cut out of the map.

I've managed to do it inside ArchiCAD instead... Got it to the correct scale and it didn't take that long.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Nstocks said:
I don't need to actually alter the size of the building outlines, it more like how much I will ' crop ' the map to make the buildings fit on A2... making them begger or smaller is achieved by how much I cut out of the map.

uh what - scaling like you've previously mentioned will change the size of the buildings on the map. If all you are doing is cropping it the scale will still be that of the original.

Yeah, and if you're cropping it then just change your artboard/artwork size to A2 and you'll see what you chop off when you print it. Don't forget to account for print margins if they print on A2 paper as you might loose a bit there too.

Back