Social Networking (Google+)

Hi guys/ladies,
I have been recently looking for a way to promote my newly established company and the topic I want to touch here concerns the social networking. I know the importance of Facebook as well as Twitter and their (respectively) Like and Follow buttons. However, I have recently spotted the new button which started to appear everywhere, the Google +1 Button, which is something new for me. Is it to do something with a new Social Network built by Google, aka Facebook and Twitter? And more interestingly, how important is to have that button on your website and how important is it to join the Google+ to promote the business? Any thoughts?

As far as I'm aware, Google+ is Google's version of Facebook is it not? So I'd imagine it works exactly the same way as the 'Like' button. As Google+ is no where near as popular as Facebook, I wouldn't bother.

As Google+ is no where near as popular as Facebook, I wouldn't bother.

Perhaps a little short-sighted Ross. I can see Google+ growing steadily and gaining momentum for social media marketing. I am starting to think that folks are getting a little bored of Twitter already so you just can't tell what will be the 'must have' marketing platform for the next 18 months.

Yea perhaps Toby. What I meant by that was, as long as there's more users on Facebook, what's the point in using one where there really isn't more or at least the same opportunities? Obviously when there are more users to see you, more prospective clients, more prospective work, then yea, definitely, why not join in. Until that point, it seems rather pointless to me.

as long as there's more users on Facebook, what's the point in using one where there really isn't more or at least the same opportunities?

Say google decide (they probably already do this) that those likes on your website pages go towards your SE positioning, i.e I have 20 likes for my homepage and you have none so I rank higher. Just a thought.

Google+ is pretty much the same as Facebook, but, it works better. And there's no Farmville. So, there's 2 pluses without even thinking about it :)

Say google decide (they probably already do this) that those likes on your website pages go towards your SE positioning, i.e I have 20 likes for my homepage and you have none so I rank higher. Just a thought.

That would be a radicolous idea by Google. Maybe one day... who knows

I am sure Google+ is growing very fast, because of popularity of Google. I think I should deeply consider the Google+ Button in the future, but without RUSH.

That would be a radicolous idea by Google. Maybe one day... who knows

Why is that ridiculous? Makes perfect sense and just the same as 1 way links into a website from other relevant websites/topics, a relevant recommendation/like/link in all adds weight to a page in googles eyes (IMO), whether these likes are currently taken into consideration by google I don't know.

Why is that ridiculous? Makes perfect sense and just the same as 1 way links into a website from other relevant websites/topics, a relevant recommendation/like/link in all adds weight to a page in googles eyes (IMO), whether these likes are currently taken into consideration by google I don't know.

I've noticed pages i have "liked" or +1'd through Google are appearing a lot more often with other searches. Google+ is Google's version of Facebook. Google is the world's largest search engine, makes total sense to me that they will integrate both so i agree Google+ will definitely play quite a big part in SE positioning. Social media in general is too big to be ignored, it will have a big impact on search engines, it's just a matter of time.

The Google +1 button is a button that is sort of like a Facebook like. These don't count as a backlink,they just let Google know that a site or link has a social following. Which can be some of the best traffic ever. It's natural.

Back