Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So how about that #newtwitter?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Kevin, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I know some of you have already got it. Have just gotten it myself about an hour ago.

I don't like it. It's overdesigned, just like their iPad app. They made it into some kind of desktop app, which I've always steered clear of. It's just a big bunch of fail to me.
  2. Greg

Greg Active Member

Tried it quickly for 10 minutes, then switched back, there was nothing really bad about it to me, but like you've said it feels like its got a bit too much going on, I think the appeal of Twitter from day one has been its simplicity, hence things like RT @ still being used more commonly than the Twitter Retweet function.

Will give it another go tomorrow, I guess they're trying to add more features to bring people back from using Twitter apps? and to use the site direct? I'd assume that more direct users would result in more impact for profitable features like promoted tweets and the newly announced promoted accounts -
  3. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

I read somewhere that 80% of tweets are still made from the web interface. If they start to phase out support for old twitter I'll be moving to a simpler desktop app (like Itsy)
  4. Greg

Greg Active Member

Interesting, I'd assumed from the people I follow and the number I see tweeting from apps it would be more like a 50-50 split, guess that's not a good representation of the general twitosphere then. I would also assume that the new interface has been heavily user tested, so will be interesting to see how it goes down over the next few days.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Went digging, and looks like I didn't remember it entirely correct. It gets used by 80%, but not necessarily as a main tool.
    Source: The New Twitter Is an Attack on All Desktop Apps

And while digging I found this, although it's an old article:
    Source: Most Popular Twitter Clients Revealed
  6. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

I haven't seen the new layout yet, but I still think any serious twitter-er uses their phone.
  7. I quite like the new twitter personally.. but thats just me.
  8. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I use my phone & the web client, haven't got the new one, seen it though, don't see why it annoys people, you don't need to use any extra features :)
  9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Seem's alright i guess
  10. xxmissbirdyxx

xxmissbirdyxx Senior Member

I use my phone and the web interface :D I have tried to use desktop apps but i hate having too many apps open at one time - I'm pretty OCD about it haha!

I love the #newtwitter :p Although... I'm gunna have to change my background so it looks right haha
  11. Greg

Greg Active Member

Thought backgrounds were pretty much defunct with newtwitter for most resolutions? Or is that just a vicious rumour?
  12. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

Pretty much, need 1280px wide or bigger before you get over 100px to the left.

And you have to go to a profile alot less when within the web browser (I suppose when sent a link to a profile you see it...)
  13. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Have been using it for a few weeks now. I miss the simplicity of the old interface... this feels a bit needlessly complex.
  14. xxmissbirdyxx

xxmissbirdyxx Senior Member

How long till facebook adapts to something similar?!
  15. Renniks

Renniks Senior Member

I love it, I wouldn't want the old interface back as it doesn't add enough, while this adds just the right amount (minus a auto URL shortener, and copy paste of images / vids, and full conversation lists rather than 1 post at a time)

It also means you leave your twitter stream alot less, which is definitely what I want to do, I want to see my tweets :D