Sizing Questions

jessedeleeuw

Hello all,

I've recently started doing some logo design in my free time, and what can I say, I'm rather hooked already!

My question, however, was around the sizing of a project, I'd like to be able to scale it billboard size, large poster size without it pixelating. Are there any tips on creating crystal clear vectors etc?

I've been working on the current set up;

1523632414494.png

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse

The whole premise behind vectors is that they don't have pixels and as such have no issues with scaling because they essentially use mathematical equations and geometric primitives to relate data to one another.

The resolution and dimensions you are setting are basically a 'drawing board' for you to work on.

The whole premise behind vectors is that they don't have pixels and as such have no issues with scaling because they essentially use mathematical equations and geometric primitives to relate data to one another.

The resolution and dimensions you are setting are basically a 'drawing board' for you to work on.

Hi Levi,

Thanks for you reply.

That’s helpful, what’s the best way to to finalise a vector in that case? I have rasterised all aspect of the logo, is there anything else you can recommend as it still pixelates slightly when I export the image.

Thanks,

Jesse

Looks like you are using Photoshop
Usualy for logo design a vector based software is used, to make it scaleable
Adobe illustrator being the most popular, though there are many alternatives, inkscape is a free one.

Hi Wardy,

I had to rasterised the layer so I could cut out from another. Is this not good?

Hey Jesse,

Could I ask why you needed to rasterise it and work in Ps?

That’s helpful, what’s the best way to to finalise a vector in that case?

The best way to finalise a vector is to leave it as a vector.
The size of the logo/vector and the document it's in are vectors and are non-lossy so size isn't an issue at all.
Don't rasterise it unless you need to do something with it in Photoshop like say drop it onto a photograph and save it out as a .jpg.

If you're talking about the best size for a vector to be to import into Photoshop then that doesn't matter either.
You can paste a tiny vector in and re-size it and it's not until you double click to position it that it becomes pixels at the resolution of the document.

In a nutshell.

Your original, base logo should always be in vectors unless you need to bring it into photoshop for some reason or saving it out to be used on the web
for example, a web site.

Back