Sixth Form or a Job? Starting a career in design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't read all this but from my experience I wouldn't bother with college or uni. College was fun but absolutely pointless I can't even begin to explain how much it's wasted my life. And then while at college a man named John (the tutor of my Uni course) came in to see us and showed us what we would be learning if we progressed to Uni. It sounded amazing. Like a complete change and upgrade from the crap we was doing. (mainly gluing things in and stuff). Could have learned what I learned there in 30mins. So I go to Uni and am even more disappointed than I was with college. Dunno whether it was just my course, but everything about it was lame really. Apart from having a laugh. Could honestly say what I learned at Uni I could probably learn in a few hours. To this day im completely furious about it.

im glad i have my have my A-levels. I did German, English, Politics, History and business studies. Although nothing related to art and design they have helped me in the wider context of markets, culture, how the world works and what was before and was is now and this in turn has helped give me ideas and inspiration for designing. Although I slated uni a bit previously, I would def. invest in A-Levels..GCSE's kinda just show you can read a bit about a subject and answer basic questions according to government syllabuses. A-levels kinda teach you how to argue, write well and sell yourself or your views. You have to research independently and back things up...skills probably useful in most jobs esp. design work. Knowledge is power! Although in design work you will probably learn those skills anyway without A-Levels. For me I just don't want to throw all my eggs into one basket...thats scary and gutsy! I've kept my options open and am going with the flow hoping that all my knowledge so far will reflect and inspire my design work! But thats just moi! I agree though with Sim that if you're gonna make it as a designer you won't need anything but passion and skill to get there.

yeah, i can see how A Levels back you up, just I'm put off by the pointlessness of it all. I don't want to look back in 10 years and say "grr i could've been x amount richer if i'd have saved those 2 years" or "grr i could've been x amount higher up if id have saved those 2 years", ya know?

Two years in the grand scheme are nothing though really, and even though I know that my two years at 6th form have in no way influenced my career, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

i think, with the help of someone else, I've found a college course I wanna do. It's all sorts of web and computer related and graphic stuff. Sounds brilliant, just have to see where I can get it.

I think its always better to go to University / College :) go out and get totally wrecked then go to lectures.. learn about the rest of things in the world before starting in the real world.. I know too many people who didn't go to University and regret not doing so.

A level was rubbish, utter waste of time, however Art Foundation (BTEC?) was brilliant and incredibly useful.. Would recommend that, probably over a degree.. But that said, my degree was quite good, especially all the free pens and paper I could nab.

I am in college at the moment (as I told you)

I think it is well worth getting qualifications, because if you decide to work for a firm in the future, you have official qualifications to prove what you can do and that you can work to that level.

A good portfolio would help ALOT though! As proof you can do what you say you can :up:!

Not like I have much experience in it but I worked for a year (one day week) in a company, in web design department and i learned things much quicker than in education, so job training is probably the way forward. I would say some qualifications are better than none at all, so a BND (BTEC National Diploma) would be a good qualification to have, as it inloves a lot of subjects! (The course I am doing - which is a 2 year course) :D

I just found the best course available for me EVER! EVER EVER!

I'm like "hell yeah, 6 or 12 month course, part time, web design, coding aspects, coldfusion, MySql and PHP in depth, yeaah..."

but then found that the last one available starts in May. When I start my big block of stoopid exams. How chuffin stupid.

I love New York :D :D But it's expensive even to stay there in March/April or even May for 3 days, so I can't imagine what it'd be like for longer. Plus, I have no-one to go with!

@thomashodgson: it's an openuniversity course :)

you've found a much better one that me! played! all i had was a booklet, and a title of "web design/development- last course in may 09"

Very interesting read this thread, albeit if it took me a good half hour to read!

My personal experience and thoughts: I went to college, a good one, not a high school or the like but a relaxed college with generally good things going for it.

Studied Design, Maths, Computing & Accountancy in the first year but soon realised Design was pretty much wood work, should really have spent more time reading the booklet. Managed to scrape a D in that (a C in the coursework and an E in the exam (thanks to a 10mark question on the environment :lol:)) and dropped it when I could. Got myself a BCC in my 2nd year which I'm pleased with, B being in Accounting which was my 3rd most important subject, but I'm pleased none-the-less.

I'm 18 (I'm starting to feel old after reading this thread ;)) and don't plan to go to University. Doing it without a degree is the hard way, but the right way for me I believe. I've gotta knuckle down, learn everything I can, constantly practice and develop, take onboard critique and then start the whole process again.

A little more on the college front though, the best 2 years of my life. I travelled on average 2-3 hours a day on the local bus, but went along with mates and you get used to it quite quickly. I actually look back with a smile at all the struggles with getting to and from college, good times. As I say, the best decision so far in my life is to go that college, leaving my normal group of friends behind and risking it (a big thanks to the parents for nagging me to consider said college). The other choice was doing the same courses at my secondary school, but they really didn't know what they were doing.

Anyway, I've rambled a bit, just reminiscing, so much football was played in those 2 years, fantastic times :cool:

Hi Tim.

I haven't gone back through this thread but understand the general gist of it. Thought I'd let you know my experience as I'm local to you and it wasn't that long ago that I was in a similar position.

I didn't fancy Uni cos of the debt and time involved. After my GCSEs I decided to stay on at school (Bishop Walsh) and do my A' Levels. I'm really glad I did cos I had the best two years ever. My results weren't great but I wasn't too bothered - I had such a laugh. After that I did a National Diploma in Graphic Design at Sutton College for two years. It covered design, illustration, advertising, history of art and fine art. In the second year I did a week's work experience at a good agency in Birmingham. I worked really hard there and they really liked me. As I had Friday's off college I worked at the agency (unpaid) every Friday until I graduated. When I finished college they took me on full time and my career started there.

I'm not saying the same could happen to you, or that this route is the right one. But if you're not going to Uni then studio experience is key - get it any way you can, even if you don't get paid. You should also be aware that when applying for design jobs, a lot of agencies will disregard any applicants that don't have a degree, no matter your experience or skill. It's harsh but true.

I hope I don't sound patronising, but you're still dead young and have loads of time yet before joining the rat-race. My advice would be to enjoy yourself and your education for as long as possible before starting your career. Your subjects for A' Level may not be all that relevant to your chosen career, but learning at a higher level and learning transferable skills is so important no matter what you choose to do. Processes and clarity of thought are so important in a creative job, and studying - no matter what the subject - really helps you to develop skills for tackling problems, which is what design is all about.

Sorry to ramble. Hope it's useful.

Jim

That wasn't rambling :)

Helped a lot... and it's good to hear something different to what people have been saying... extra helpful that you're in the same area.

I've got into Plantsbrook sixth form (as of yesterday by interview BTW!), and am thinking I'm going to do 3 A levels (minimum requirement - maths, app.d business and app.d ICT) and two open university courses.

I love design, and I've been told to quit before sixth form and start ASAP (get way ahead), but with the current economic climate and the fact that there's hundreds of parties I could go to if I stay on, I'm completely stumped!

Glad this is being bought back up; I have no idea now!

Tim......Listen to your Mum.........you're too young to make decisions without making a pigs ear of them.

Tim, I started my A levels, left after 6 weeks, got a real job, i worked in the benefits agency! Whilst I had a great time, because of the money mainly, it did remind me that I wanted to go back and get qualified.
Went to college did a btec in media studies, that took 2 years, finished there another year out worked for barclays bank that time, again nice to be earning money, but this second time of being in the normal 9-5 mess made me realise that there was no way I wasn't going to uni.
I started uni at 21, anyone I went to school with was finishing uni by this point, but it didn't matter. Not going to lie, failed my 2nd year, finished, did a masters part time over 2 years, whilst I cocked around trying to be in a band.

The point I'm getting at is, you don't have to do everything straight away, you can try working and if it doesn't work remember you can go back. And one other thing, if you do go to uni and get a degree (in anything quite frankly) there are alot of opportunities for graduates in fast track schemes with major corporations, regardless of what your degree is. Once again point being, that even if along the way you decide that you don't want to be a designer, you are generally in a better postition with a degree in your back pocket.

Just an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back