Sixth Form or a Job? Starting a career in design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, didn't mean to sound like an arse!

And yeah, I'm hoping my hard work will speak for me, but I think they'll look at how young I am and say "ha, you couldn't do that, fudge off!" - which would kill me!

I really should shut up more on these forums, I'm always seeming to say the wrong thing.

While I know this thread has just about run its course and Tim's gotten the info he needs, I can't help but add my two bits in about qualifications vs. learning-on-the-job.

I am a product of a course at university and feel I am much better for it so I am a bit biased towards formal qualifications.

However, I have found in my extensive job search for design jobs in the UK, that it really depends on where you want to work. For example, if you want to work for a huge corporate in their in-house design studio, then you have to get through an HR department. Now, HR people often just look at the CVs and bin anyone who doesnt match up to the description advertised for the site. Friends of mine have found that a similiar thing happens in publishing (print design is where my focus lies) as most publishing houses have heavy internal beauracracy.

In terms of getting your foot in the door regarding large coprporates (and perhaps even the larger ad agencies), a qulification is essential if only to place it onto your CV for the HR geeks.

BUT

How you deploy your skills and how that is reflected in your portfolio is just as important. Your portfolio is the thing that will seal the deal for you.

Designing well is a mixture of talent and technical knowlege. If the course is planned and executed correctly, you can develop both at university in an environment that is specifically designed for you to do so. ie: not a working studio where everyone may be too busy to help you.

Please don't get me wrong here, I am not poo pooing "learning by doing", this approach has been taken by thousands and proven to be the correct path for them, I just think that there is a lot to be said about getting a qualification too and this shouldnt be written off (as some people in this thread have).

What I can suggest to you, Tim, is that you stick to the path of wanting to do an HND eventually but you can foreground this with experience gained from working for studios now. I say this because the experience you are getting now is going to be a valuable point of reference for you once you start doing a focussed course and, at the end of it, you would have been able to get more out of it having had the 2 years of practical experience beforehand.

Ok this has been long, sorry for that everyone but I just wanted to weigh-in on this issue.

*waits for the learning-by-doing people to come and tear him apart* ;-)

lol, thanks Peter.

I like people who put effort in to saying what they mean :)

As for HND, I'm next to definite I'm doing that, or a HNC. This way, I have got a portfolio and a degree too, which is very useful.

I'm not looking to go into a huge company TBH, more just one that's medium size, if you get me... not 1000's of people, but not 2 people, if you see what I mean. Despite that, I think it's very important I show I left before sixth form not because I'm a doss or an idiot, but more because I wanted to fulfill my goals. I understand that leaving before sixth form doesnt look too great.

Thanks for the help :)

No probs!

I applaud what you are doing! You are lucky to know what direction you want to take so early in your life (some of my friends wasted their time at university doing things they didnt like and still dont know what they want to do!).

Leaving before 6th form doesnt have to look bad as long as you use the time constructively (which it sounds like you will). Use the covering letters you send with your portfolio and cv to prospective employers to explain why you left before 6th form and all should be fine! :)

Most of all, good luck!!

One more question, and hoping for a wide response being as there's about a gazillion new members!!

Does anyone work in an agency? A bit one? If so, how did you end up there? Did you do freelance stuff and eventually apply for a job with a great CV?

I have my own agency now. But spent 20 odd years from junior to Creative Director in big 40-80 people size Ad and Design agencies.

Nice!

Ever feel like quitting along the way? [Not that I am, but just so I'm knowing what may happen avec le design in the future.]

tim-ater said:
Nice!

Ever feel like quitting along the way?

Never. Been tiffed of plenty times, but I can't imagine ever doing anything else. You just have learn to adapt and change with the times and the technology. When the first Mac ( more of an Etchasketch!) came out in the early 80's that was key moment that saw a lot of casualties. Designers had to learn to type!

I'm working part-time for my brother's agency, and my skill is far below that of the other designers at the office, but I'm only 16! So I've been doing the small jobs, but nonetheless I've been picking up some tricks along the way and getting the opportunity to see how the professionals work.

My brother is the one who set me up with Photoshop and stuff years ago, and I'm glad he did. I still have two more years of school ahead and lots of time to keep working on my skills and after that I'll probably -stubborn as I am- try to kick it off by myself anyway in the beginning.

So just to answer to the original question, my brother took some classes and so did another designer at work, both of them say that they didn't learn much new stuff in those classes. So even though I'm not quite there yet, I would say go to college, university, sixth form or whatever if you really think it would help.

yeah, i think each experience is different to each different personality. TBH, I'm sure that work isn't anywhere near as hard as school deadlines, exams every year, etc, so how is it preparing us? as soon as we approach university, we can just doss and go out every week, and ocasionally work, but at school it's essay after essay and 5 lessons after 5 lessons.

I think leaving school will make me find some proper inspiration too, instead of getting bored off my face in my usual lessons.

And what will psychology, history, maths, physics, and all that do for me? I wanna be a designer not a mathematical historian who studies the psychology of science. It's just stupid.

I've read recently in a connexions book (school career advice thing), that portfolio is more important than exam qualifications in this example.

However, it does say it's also useful to a lot of employers that applicants have a graphic design degree

If you're going freelance and a big company is looking to hire you, yes, your degree might be important. If you're planning on going to work for an agency, your skill is what matters.

well this is the thing... I don't know at the exact stage which I'm going to go into, I just know I want a design agency at the end of it.

Well you could always start out with a mind-blowing portfolio and if that doesn't take you far enough you could go for a degree... Or the other way around ;)

Onartis said:
If you're going freelance and a big company is looking to hire you, yes, your degree might be important. If you're planning on going to work for an agency, your skill is what matters.

Degrees mean nothing. Cream always rises to the surface. All the creatives I have employed from junior level in my life( apart from 2) have eventually made it to be a Creative Director or now have their own agency, thats 11 I think? Here are what I look for in unearthing talent.

1. Hunger. Desire over ability. if your really hungry you will find a way to eat.
2. Learning. An ability to constantly learn and change and evolve. Not many people can actually do this!
3. Patience A person who can learn, sit and wait and measure his attack. This is a marathon, sit and wait, and you will win the race. Let others blow up, you have 30/40 years in this business, be a stayer.
4. Desire If you want it you will get it.

I've always employed people with these attributes rather over 'talented' people as these will finish the race and long term will survive and adapt. It's not your portfolio employers buy into it's you, and what you may become.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back