Sixth Form or a Job? Starting a career in design

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definately on the fence when it comes to education, it has its good and points; you can learn some things there that you won't learn there, and visa versa. It's also the experience as well, and t obe fair, once you get in the working world, your in for life! :lol:

I can understand there being a rush for your A Levels, I agree with Greg and pick what you think might still aide you in the future, whether it be Maths, Visual Basic, Art, whatever... then you have until Sept 2009 to decide, you never know what might come up in the meantime ;-)

Can I get a hell yeah!?

I had a phonecall from my dad today, who'd just got off the phone to my mom. Without me even bringing it up, mom had told dad that I've got too much web/graphic design expertise to let go and that I can do what I want from finishing GCSEs!!

All I'm looking for now is some full/part time work within reasonable commute before/after september time? If anyone can help me there that'd be awesome! I'm looking to stay a while, like a year or so and then from there see if I can stay on before doing the HND, which my parents have recommended.

Would you consider working away? as my dad calls it 'lodging' lol.
If your prepared to commute long distance for upto 12 months, possibly for the least, might it be worth renting somewhere, closer to work?

Good to hear you have your parents support with your decision Tim, now the hard work begins developing your experience and getting the all important portfolio together!

Great news Tim, look forward to seeing your new projects as they develop, sounds like 09 will be an exciting year for you, I hope it all goes well :D

Im in a similiar position to you - however I have taken on a levels (art, photography, media and geography) and will beleaving after my second year to start a business if all goes to plan - my fall back is to get a job with a local agency.

Ive been getting some work from a local design agency who offered me one job and then they were so impressed they are now passing off more off their website design jobs to me (one reason being they are not capable of doing some of the things I can).

Cotnact local agencies and show them what youve got in your PF so far, then discuss possibilities of a lowpaid job etc, regular work and offer to do one for free as a trial?

COuld be a good shout, but me being in a similiar position to you may not be the best person to take advice from.....

Good luck anyway,

look forward to seeing your website.

Must just say good on you for being so business minded at your age (hope that doesn't sound patronizing) but it seems to me you will have a good career ahead of you if you've already got projects in the bag. Only thing I would say on the whole six form/ college work debate is don't forget to factor in the fun!

Whilst Uni is an expensive game and I could debate it's pros and cons for hours (interesting thread in business/ freelance section 'Is UK design education an epic FAIL?', worth a read), college and Uni for me was a great from both a learning and social point of view. You'll be working till your pension comes in so make the most of teenage years (god when did I become so old!)

PS. Being a Sutton lad would be worth looking if you haven't already at Matthew Boulton College as it's on your doorstep. Not sure what specific courses they do but the facilities and work they produce including 'This is Feed Magazine' is outstanding (Welcome // This is Feed // Index). Saw their display stand at Plus+ design festival and they had some great work (better than a lot of uni's that showcase at D&AD new blood) I've Got some photos from +plus including their stuff on issu.com (Russell Hall Design: Plus 2008 a Visual Overview)

They look great, I must say, but I want to go more into web than imagery. Although obviously graphic design comes under web design, it's not the particular thing I want to focus on.

I'll check MBC out though, I've heard stuff about them before.

I agree with a lot of these responses, although I did do A levels and a degree, none of it was in design. I learned on the job after leaving university.

However, you've got to consider what education does offer - and let's face it, education does teach people some important skills like discipline, research skills, conceptual thinking, team work etc, etc. Have you considered more practical courses like a BTEC?

I've noticed from personal experience that the design industry can be ever so snobby and vicious if you don't have an education to a high level - I'm not saying you should do a course for the sake of it BUT if you're not going to continue in education (especially at your tender age!) you need to get your head screwed on now and set some clear goals for yourself and get some sensible business advice.

And like these guys say above, your portfolio is key. Keep working hard, get feedback and hang your ego up at the door.

Good luck with everything!

Mookomatic said:
I
I've noticed from personal experience that the design industry can be ever so snobby and vicious if you don't have an education to a high level

I would disagree with that to a certain extent. Talent, abilty and attitude will always win over qualifications. I personally don't have a degree or any 'qualifications other than some A levels. Most employers looking at graduate/ entry level are looking for a basic understanding with the emphasis on huge potential.

I don't have a design qualification either, but I dread that question I get asked a lot:
"So where did you study design".

It's just a piece of anecdotal evidence really, I'm not saying it's an attitude that is the norm. I know that if I was an employer, I would be looking for ability and personal skills over any specific FE qualifications.

Perhaps I've been unlucky to encounter a lot of design snobs in my short career!!

;)

I hope my portfolio and determination will show employers what I can do positively for them.

I am going to do a HND in design, or whatever comes up that suits me. I can only do that at 18, so I'm trying to get some active experience with some big guns (or smaller ones) before I do it so as I can go straight into it if I wish, after that.

As for BTECs. I gotta say a big 'no' to that as I've found that they seem to attract more lower educated people (I won't call them chavs, but they are), and TBH I'm not close to dumb at all. (Sorry for cockiness)

@Russell: I do want to go to University and get the whole social and educational aspect, that's why I'm looking to do a HND and try and do it over a stretch of time at Uni.

Hey there Tim, go easy on the condemnation of BTEC's there! I've got a BTEC National Diploma combined with A Levels, I then went to go on to gain a BA (Hons) Degree. I certainly don't consider myself to be a chav, or 'lower educated'. In fact, I've been chugging away in the motion graphics industry for the past 8 years, and I can read and spellz and everythink. ;)

Anyway, whatever.

All that matters is you do the right thing for you, and like you say get some active experience!!
Take it easy and good luck.

Hey there Tim, go easy on the condemnation of BTEC's there! I've got a BTEC National Diploma combined with A Levels, I then went to go on to gain a BA (Hons) Degree. I certainly don't consider myself to be a chav, or 'lower educated'. In fact, I've been chugging away in the motion graphics industry for the past 8 years, and I can read and spellz and everythink.

I was talking about my specific area of education. I can guess that 95% percent of all BTECs we have available, are filled with people that are looking for what they think is an easy doss lesson.

As for the experience, I definitely need some. Today was one of those days that just showed me what a waste of time school is. I've been doing coursework essays for months, and because teachers CBA to check it properly, they name three things, I do them, hand it in, and get an E. I'm a freaking A* pupil!

Gah, less of my hatred for my school, more about my future.

I'm looking towards getting a HND when I'm 18, for the moment I'm looking for possible chances in or out of Birmingham to do some experience when I would be doing sixth form.

Meanwhile, I have to apply for work, around about now.

Do I just send off a portfolio in the post or do I call a few businesses I'd like to work with and see if they want me for interview or something?

tim-ater said:
I'm a freaking A* pupil!

I know how easy it is to sound cocky over a forum mate - but from personal experience (I used to be a lot worse than you) it could get you in to trouble and people will have a go!

Keep up the hard work and let that speak for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back