Sixth Form or a Job? Starting a career in design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why not swap sixth form with 2 years doing an HND (or whatever they are these days) in what you're specifically interested in? I went straight from O levels (GCSEs) to a 2-year diploma in general art and design - the only one in my school set to skip A levels (horrors!) and it served me well. I went on to a degree course but not everyone did, and nowadays it's possibly not necessary. Doing this might be the sort of compromise your parents will feel happy with, and if you do decide to drop out halfway, at least you can say that you explored the academic route but it wasn't for you.

lula said:
Why not swap sixth form with 2 years doing an HND (or whatever they are these days) in what you're specifically interested in?

I think that's a good suggestion from Lula, it could be a good compromise if there's a suitable course available locally to you and you might even be able to combine it with some work placements at design agencies to start building up your portfolio and work experience :up:

If Tim is 15 like my son, then he can't do an HND as he is too young. He has to do 2 years at 6th form doing A levels and HNC or some crap like that. I did the 'parent tour' with the wife to a few colleges and 6th forms a few months back and that was the situation. I wanted my son to go straight into HND but he can't as the entry age is 18, I know it seems stupid but its 2 years of paddling water. Or try and get in at the basement level in a company, which is a better bet.

Ah. That's extremely annoying then... Thanks for adding your 'rather more up-to-date' advice Berry! Good luck Tim.

Thanks guys :D

Yeah, I think I'm going to leave sixth form out. In the end, having a degree won't mean I'm better or more skilled than people who don't, it's just really understanding stuff that I'll probably learn in instances instead.

I've tried dropping subtle hints to my parents, and they don't seem to bothered if I go in to the web industry as it seems they've invested quite a lot in me recently (domains, hosting packages, travel cost, etc)

Hi Tim,

Here's an idea for you... you have to put your application for A-Levels in tomorrow right? What's to stop you applying then changing your mind later down the line? Get the application in and keep your options open, then it will give you some more time to decide, and even look into getting some work experience before then. At least then you'll have first hand experience of what to expect in going into a web related job over taking the A-Levels?

HTH
Greg

If you wanted to go down the HND route you could do a ND (National Diploma) but ask to do the fasttrack course which is 1 year rather than 2 - only difference is all of your projjects need to be spot on (well, not fails) in order to complete.

You could then go onto the HND - that would cut a year out of the learning experience? its also likely the course would only be 4 days a week so you could do work experience on the other day? its all down to how much you are prepared to sacrifice I supose.

I really want to join up with a design agency and expand my knowledge with as much as I can before I apply for a job at 18 (when I'm allowed to work full time).

@Br3n: I don't know about NDs and HNDs, I'd have to look into it to know what my decision is (it's gonna be a damn rushed one at this rate!)

@Greg: Yeah, the application is for tomorrow but I'm good with my head of year so I'm sure I can push it a few days to really decide what I'm gonna do. I've been told I'm accepted at my school if I apply, but is two years of maths, psychics, further maths and history really necessary when I'm not doing any of that?

tim-ater said:
@Br3n: I don't know about NDs and HNDs, I'd have to look into it to know what my decision is (it's gonna be a damn rushed one at this rate!)

@Greg: Yeah, the application is for tomorrow but I'm good with my head of year so I'm sure I can push it a few days to really decide what I'm gonna do. I've been told I'm accepted at my school if I apply, but is two years of maths, psychics, further maths and history really necessary when I'm not doing any of that?

Get onto the local Colleges / Art/Design College websites and find out then :)

And what would limit you to those subjects then? Could you not do more related subjects like IT, Design Tech, Media Studies, etc? Or does your Sixth Form not have those options?

I wouldn't go anywhere near those at my school.

IT is literally 'screenshot proof that you created a directory', and the teachers aren't too inspiring. I know more than them about the programs they have!

I'm sounding immature/naive now aren't i? I'm not as stupid as I sound (hopefully), I just don't want to waste time doing stuff to get me near/ into university and then find out that I'd be wasting my time at uni doing a degree I don't necessarily need for any part of my future.

No, quite the opposite, you're sounding very level headed for someone of your age, which is a good sign that you're considering your options and weighing up what's best. If I was you I would start looking around for other courses you might be able to take, contact the local colleges, then start looking for work placements and work experience, I take it you would have next Summer free? That would be an ideal time to try and get some work experience, and before then just focus on building up your skills and portfolio as you have been doing.

Good luck with whichever route you choose!

thanks Greg :D

But yeah, i'll try and get as much work experience in summer as poss.

thanks for all your guys support/suggestions though, it really helps to have people back you up and give you some idea of the other opinion too.

anyone with any other particular experiences that may be helpful to me?

I would say from what people on my Foundation Degree course said, and my own personal experience, try and get work experience at more local companies/agencies, from the majority of feedback of guys on my course who went upto London for work placements they really didn't get a great deal from it and were just left researching stock photos or slicing up work for presentations. Where as local firms seem to allow the work placement guys to get more involved and more hands-on. I guess this depends on the specific companies, but was just a general feeling I got.

Other than that just keep working on your portfolio! and your skillset/experience with live projects where ever possible.

i've only got 4 sites under my belt at the moment, two redesigns and two start ups.

not great, but there we go.

I'm proud I was able to pass the CSS validation test on my new homepage, but CBA to bother with the million irrelevant 'wrong-doings' in HTML.

They told me to insert the tag <head> at the top of my page. Which I already had, strangely.

oh just to add to this, I started an "AVCE ICT" course at 6th form, the equivilent of 2 AS levels apparently - covered mega basics of everything, web design was frontpage and like 2 lines of code (the teachers new nothing) and another part of the course (again, ict based) was taught by a 65 year old lady who was trying to teach how to read and correct printed type?!?! she had all these stupid symbols meaning (example: 2 lines down) rather than just circle the world.

If you actually want to gain usable knowledge rather than a qualification its really not the place to do so. These are of course my own experiences/opinions but im hoping you can benefit from my learnings :)

I also did AS psychology which was really, really interesting. just to add, plus I learned to spell the word :p

Surely there must be some decent design education/training out there for 16-18 year olds? (Like wot we oldies had.) It's an outrage if not! Something we should campaign about!! Well, maybe not this evening. I'm off for my Horlicks now.

Hi Tim,

Hope you don't mind, I've moved this thread to the main Design discussion area, as it seemed a shame for it to be in Off-Topic with an unknown title, it will undoubtedly be useful for others to read through in a similar situation :)

Thanks,
Greg

that's fine :)

hope that people do come to this thread if they have any concerns, although from the sounds of it I'm the youngest member!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back