Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site with forum

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by charles, Sep 17, 2009.

1. charles

charles Senior Member

Hi all,

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a forum and was wondering if anyone has an idea of the costs involved, eg hosting etc or just a ballpark of the setup/running costs.

tbh generally the stages involved in setting up a forum on a site from scratch.

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

3. darren

darren Member

It really depends on the forum and expected user count.

The best way is to set it up with a free forum (PHPBB for example) on quite cheap hosting (£10 per year with domain name). You can easily migrate to VBulletin or similar (and SEO plugins etc like this one) if it got more busy.

If you need help give me a shout.
    I could even host it for you and see if it works before you go paying for it.
  4. charles

charles Senior Member

cool thnx for advice, is v bulletin easy o setup?

i've only ever done html/css/flash sites so don't know how something like vbulletin works?
  5. darren

darren Member

Yeah its easy to set up and has a full admin control panel that lets you get right down into the nitty gritty i.e. modify css templates etc.

I am a coder and I even managed to style one to some extent (Colin & Justin Forums - Powered by vBulletin) based on the site design (which was done by a deisgner), after writing the site from a PSD including the CMS.

Basically, its not that hard (and certainly not if your a designer) its just a good bit hard work.

what to do a trial version (if not one available, there should be, but d/l a cracked one off torrents instead) and install on local machine and see how you get on. If you don't like it then go to phpBB or something similar as they are easily ported to vBulletin later on (if its even needed). Its just a simple database conversion process.
  6. charles

charles Senior Member

i was looking on vbulletin site and it looks like license is £100, is that right? and is that all thats needed from vbulletin or are there other things needed to make that work on my hosting account?

if i was to do the psd layouts what kind of money could i expect to pay for someone to code it all properly?

I would rather pay someone to do complete setup rather than me do bits and pieces (other than design aspects)

7. darren

darren Member

£100 is correct, although this is for a 1 year license I believe so is a yearly cost. You dont need to code it, all you need to do is take a "template" such as the existing images and create your own, then drop them in overwriting the existing ones.

You could go further and create your complete own style etc which could be used on any vBulletin board. any change syou make can be saved/loaded as a style its not teally difficult one you get into it. If you are up for spending £100 the best bet is to purchase it, upload and setup on your webspace and then start modifying images/css (via control panel). You WILL be able to do everything you want.

If you need any help on installation, support is usally included in costs but you can always find help on the forums. Don't be put off it if you think its a good idea, Bash On!
  8. vBulletin is very very good for a forum, but it costs a fortune in my opinion :) if you're running Wordpress there is wp-forum which is quite good :)
  9. glenwheeler

glenwheeler Senior Member

Good idea Chris, however if you are looking at low cost PHPBB is the way forward I would say. I do hosting packages very cheap and can give you a custom package. Give me a holla maybe we can sort something out...
  10. charles

charles Senior Member

I would be interested in using you for hosting glen.

The forum would need to have someway of adding video, i'm thiunking maybe Its better to make people use an external host like vimeo as costs for hosting would go down a lot due to less space?

also a lot of photo storage space and google maps would be needed.

would all of these things usually be linked onto the site rather than uploaded to my server account..?

i know it can put people of posting stuff if they have to go to another site to do it then link to it as it's extra hassle.
  11. Levi

So whats wrong with my FREE forum idea?

If its the naming convention, thats easy just set a domain redirect on a sub domain and then set it to hide the real web address.
  12. charles

charles Senior Member

sorry wasn't dismissing the idea, just me assuming that the amount of storage/design flexibilty would be limited; though I haven't actually looked into it so just a guess.
  13. Levi

if you don't want to use it thats fine but you did say you wanted cheap :)
  14. charles

charles Senior Member

I don't necessarily want cheap, I was just saying that hosting costs might be reduced if I used external hosting for videos.

But as with everything lower costs are preferred.

The reason I have been going on about costs is I really wanted was for someone to say: It can be done for so and so cost for everything.