Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Site Adverts! Your opinion?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Squiddy, Mar 8, 2013.

?

I think the following about the site adverts:

1. I'm glad they are there

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  2. I find them incredibly annoying

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. I'm not really bothered

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

What do you guys think of the new adverts running on DF? Do you find them frustrating in any way? Do you know why they are there?
    What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. They don't bother me and are less intrusive than other forums, they are a necessity to pay the forum running costs ;)

3. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Indeed, but there is a greater purpose to this poll ;) I would ask that if you are reading this thread, please vote and give your opinions.

4. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

adverts.... I know we had some a few days back but I thought you removed them as they weren't getting used.....but it's possible they're being blocked, I do use adblock after all .... something that most web savvy people are probably doing as well.
    Personally I hate adverts of ANY kind but know they're a necessary evil, hence adblock, it allows 'responsible' adverts through while blocking all the rubbish ones.
    You could also argue that in some cases if you can't afford to run the site without adverts should you be running the site in the first place.... take a forum for example (I'm guessing this is where it's heading), there are plenty of free hosting services out there, some even specifically for forums, although obviously you lose some of the control you get with a custom host. But hosting isn't that expensive these days, if you can live with shared hosting (most likely wouldn't even notice) you could run a forum and several other websites for around £100 a year or less in some cases with unlimited bandwidth and unlimited storage...

5. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Thanks for the feedback Levi. Yeah, you are right in what you're saying about hosting, but that's not where this is heading ;) What is considered to be a responsible advert these days?
    I'd really appreciate more feedback and votes on the poll if people are willing!

6. Free hosting? I'd like to see how the forum runs on a server that is free of charge, or even £100 a year.

7. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Well you probably could, but it would be ridiculously crap. Levi, if you had to guess, how much bandwidth do you reckon this site uses per month?

8. balders

balders Member

I'm not bothered, that might be down to the fact that I have AdBlock running and can't see any though.
    It is a necessary evil though.

9. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

As a forum user, I'm not really bothered by them.

As a business owner, I'm glad they're there.

10. Levi

it wouldn't necessarily be crap, a lot of 'free' hosts just limit the amount of storage/bandwidth on their free packages, the rest is exactly the same as the paid options and the how much bandwidth... less than the unlimited you can get for £100 or less.... or if you're really after that 'extra' performance you could upgrade to a vps package for 200 again with unlimited bandwidth...
    edit: oh and I didn't say this approach would be suitable for EVERY forum but it's likely more than enough for a forum with a moderate userbase, now clearly something that has 1000's of people on the forum at the same time would need more than a free or shared account.
    Oh and I missed the responsible adverts bit.... probably ones that don't pop up in your face, don't make stupid noises etc. I'd associate a responsible advert as one that is tastefully done and integrated into the overall design of the site in a way as to not make the advert take over - linky from adblock

11. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Free hosts limit everything. Number of databases, bandwidth, disk space, everything. That's why they're free. Oh and there's no such thing as unlimited bandwidth, it simply doesn't exist. If you exceed an amount specified by the host then they will simply reduce the speed of your server to the point in which it becomes unusable. Think of it like broadband and their "fair usage" policies. It did sound like you were suggesting that we could go on to free hosting!!
    Argh! Yeah I hate those annoying popup/sound adverts.
    So what kind of stuff do you think the advertising money is getting spent on?

12. Levi

I understand the 'metaphorical' unlimited which is allowed for mobiles (don't get me started on this...) but there's no limits mentioned in the t&c's to the one I'm thinking of for hosting.... so trading standards etc cover you in theory
    As to broadband I'm on a totally unrestricted/unlimited broadband, which I know has no limits.... so's my phone's internet too no limits mentioned anywhere (it's quite an old deal), not that I'll ever get anywhere near it's limits where I live :p
    As to df going on free hosting... nah I wouldn't have expected that purely due to the fact we can use a lot of images and they can take up more resources unless you have an external link only policy, although I do still think it could get away with a good quality shared hosting package with the proferbial unlimited bandwidth, we're not at the size where you're going to have hundreds/thousands of people on at the same time
    Advertising money - depends on the site, some sites would use it to pay for servers, some would buy hardware for reviews and some would just pocket it lol

13. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

It also depends how much you're getting for your advertising and what the future plans for the forum are.
    I don't see what the point in buying hardware would be? Obviously there are hosting costs, licensing costs, domain name costs etc. I guess it all depends what the "business" has going out to what it gets spent on?

14. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

Buying hardware for reviewing, although I believe it's quite common that review sites are given hardware for free by companies these days. I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding mobile internet Levi, I was talking about website hosting - where unlimited is definitely not unlimited.
    Interesting that you didn't note future development in those costs, Levi?

15. Levi

Some sites get the parts loaned, some prefer the buy and then sell or give away later approach, it depends on how big the site is and if the company is willing to loan you an item for review.
    I didn't mention future developments as I was working more on a finished site rather than one that is being 'upgraded', that's a different kettle of fish to an existing one as that really does depend on the type of 'upgrades' and the skillset of the person/people hosting it. Having said that I see upgrades that are already thought of but not implemented as 'initial/personal expenses' rather than something that will come purely out of adverts. My bit about pocketing the money could cover the 'return in investment' for these 'upgrades'. But then it might just be my way of looking at a project.... I plan it ALL out as best I can at the start rather than doing things in bits so as to minimise the wasted time/effort of adding bits in later so to speak.
    and the mobile internet - you said "Think of it like broadband and their "fair usage" policies"... so mobile is included in that too as they're even bigger culprits than landline broadband :)

16. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

"I plan it ALL out as best I can at the start rather than doing things in bits so as to minimise the wasted time/effort of adding bits in later so to speak"

That's alright until you stumble on things you didn't know about, hadn't accounted for, accidentally overlooked etc etc.

17. Squiddy

Squiddy Guest

No matter what anyone tells you Levi, a website is never finished! There's always at least one person who wants to improve something, usually the developer. I suppose that was largely the point of this thread, that DF isn't a finished forum. More importantly, that we've got big plans for DF and eventually want to take the F out of DF ;) Expect an announcement soon.
    Rest assured the adverts are there for a reason, not simply to pay for on-going costs and to line the pockets of our capitalist leade... uhh Tony & co ;)

18. Tony Hardy

Tony Hardy Guest

Hahaha! :) There's a couple of things I'd like to talk with you about Levi, would you drop me a PM with your email address?

19. Matt Harle

Matt Harle Guest

They don't really bother me, if I'm honest. I barely notice them.

20. Levi

sent a pm but I've already told you alrady I'm not going to go out on a date with you :p
    You mean you don't add in an allowance for unexpected stuff....I normally factor a 10-25% allowance depending on what I'm doing, unless it's something I know inside out