SIL open font license for @font-face

pino

Hi,
when i use a font under the Sil open font license 1.10 in my website (@font-face), have i to include somewhere the license?
Thanks

Read the license..... it tells you that it needs to include the license.

That's two of your threads that could have been answered by just reading the license which applies to the image/font...

Question: 1.10 Does the full OFL license text always need to accompany the font?
Answer: The only situation in which an OFL font can be distributed without the text of the OFL (either in a separate file or in font metadata), is when a font is embedded in a document or bundled within a program. In the case of metadata included within a font, it is legally sufficient to include only a link to the text of the OFL on http://scripts.sil.org/OFL, but we strongly recommend against this. Most modern font formats include metadata fields that will accept the full OFL text, and full inclusion increases the likelihood that users will understand and properly apply the license.

Personally I'd do a css comment with a link to a txt file on the server... whether that is sufficient is another matter but then I don't use OFL fonts....

This is a great idea! link the license into my server...so the license is with the font (not as external resource) and i have not to include all the text as comment!

Many thanks Levi!

Question: 1.1 Can I use the fonts for a book or other print publication, to create logos or other graphics or even to manufacture objects based on their outlines?
Answer: Yes. You are very welcome to do so. Authors of fonts released under the OFL allow you to use their font software as such for any kind of design work. No additional license or permission is required, unlike with some other licenses. Some examples of these uses are: logos, posters, business cards, stationery, video titling, signage, t-shirts, personalised fabric, 3D-printed/laser-cut shapes, sculptures, rubber stamps, cookie cutters and lead type.

Question: 1.1.2 Is any kind of acknowledgement required?
Answer: No. Font authors may appreciate being mentioned in your artwork's acknowledgements alongside the name of the font, possibly with a link to their website, but that is not required.

Seems like you don't need to actually include anything?

Hi Paul,
Many Thanks for your answer,

Using the font in a website, is not distribute the font?

Question: 2.1 Can I make webpages using these fonts?
Answer: Yes! Go ahead! Using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets) is recommended. Your three best options are:
  • referring directly in your stylesheet to open fonts which may be available on the user's system
  • providing links to download the full package of the font - either from your own website or from elsewhere - so users can install it themselves
  • using @font-face to distribute the font directly to browsers. This is recommended and explicitly allowed by the licensing model because it is distribution. The font file itself is distributed with other components of the webpage. It is not embedded in the webpage but referenced through a web address which will cause the browser to retrieve and use the corresponding font to render the webpage (see 1.11 and 1.15 for details related to embedding fonts into documents). As you take advantage of the @font-face cross-platform standard, be aware that web fonts are often tuned for a web environment and not intended for installation and use outside a browser. The reasons in favour of using web fonts are to allow design of dynamic text elements instead of static graphics, to make it easier for content to be localized and translated, indexed and searched, and all this with cross-platform open standards without depending on restricted extensions or plugins. You should check the CSS cascade (the order in which fonts are being called or delivered to your users) when testing.

Source

Back