Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sick of Airline Discrimination?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by CSparkes, Jan 30, 2010.

1. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Petition to: Suggest to Airlines, Pricing should be by all up weight of passenger and baggage. | Number10.gov.uk

Sick of being discriminated against?

"At the moment large, often obese people inconvenience adjacent travellers and or are offered additional free seating, whilst more sporting energetic types are often penalised by excess baggage charges for their equipment.

Essentially this is unfair and discriminates against sportsmen and women of all sizes."

No only sports people but general jo public too, why should larger people be allowed more space width wise! Im 6ft 4 so shouldn't tall people be given extra leg room?

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

I'm of the view that an oversize (ok I'll say it - a clinically obese) person who takes up more than their seat should be paying for the seat next to them too.

If I was to go onto a plane/boat whatever that I've paid good money for and get sat next to someone encroaching on my space due to their size I would be complaining, it's not like I can get up and move somewhere else.

I'm 6ft 4" and I'm probably quite broad at my shoulders so with the current trend of lets cram us in like sardines I would more likely sit fairly close to my neighbours on a fair few flights if I was to fly on a cheaper seat. I would do everything I could to limit my contact with my shoulders but if your whole body is oversized it's not like you can hold it all in for a long haul flight.

Having said that I likely wouldn't have any leg room so I'd be having my blood cut off due to my squashed legs.

It's the same with all public transport, as soon as I could drive I stopped using buses due to the fact I couldn't stand up in them properly and the seats are designed for tiny little midgets, that and the fact we have the worst drivers in the world on my route. When I was on a bus I ended up taking up either two seats (I twisted sideways and lent up against the windows) or my leg(s) took up the walk way, it was compounded even worse when he bus was busy and you had several tall people together.

I know buses/planes etc are all about pack them in so they can get more money per mile but they should really be taking into consideration the average height of about 6ft for males in western countries and an increasing amount being taller than this.

3. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

Well I don't fly very often, but I have a similar rant which might not apply to UK people.
    In Belgium, we have download limits. This means that every month I can download up to 30 GB of files. When I reach this mark I need to choose whether I slow down my internet (which sucks ass) or keep surfing at the same speed, and be charged extra at the end of the month.

And when I rant about my download limit there are people who are like "what download limit?" or "yeah I must download at least 5 gigs a month" and then I'm all like "what the F, why doesn't the internet company just transfer half your limit to me?"

Of course I can just have my limit raised, but it's €1 per gigabyte :p

4. Levi

we have that in the UK too but it depends on which package you pick. But we have even better - we have unlimited internet where you can't go over about 40Gigs in a month, I never knew unlimited had a finite amount :)

5. ralphsaunders

ralphsaunders Senior Member

Theres a difference between being fat and taking up two seats. Yeah if you take up two seats then you should be paying for two seats but you shouldn't be penalized for being fat.

6. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

See i stronly disagree, and im not just toking fat, but way overweight!

I kicked up last year when BA refused to take my sports bag as of its weight was 5kg over BUT was going to be charged as wasnt 32kg(max weight), I was told the extra 5kg cost was for fuel costs! I refused as I weigh around 75kg yet other passengers weigh alot more! Stood beside me at check in, Supervisor came over and said that the average weight for passenger they used for fuel was 95kg! So I was, thats fine, and on your charges per kilo I will let you have the spare 10kg of costs for free and I wont ask for a deduction, My bag was soon accepeted . . .

7. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Ah, depends on your car though, I have to have the seat as far back is it will go to use the pedals comfortably.

8. Levi

so do I but it's a damn site more comfortable than having my knees up against my chest :D It isn't for the person behind me though :rolleyes:

EDIT: And for a slice of life see attached picture

Attached Files:

9. br3n

br3n Senior Member

Its not so much penalized, but like craig says us sporty folk have to pay extra for snowboards/surfboards/kites etc to get on a plane so why should someone whos transporting 4000 burgers in their stomache be allowed to do so free of chrage?

I think its actually a very fair way of doing it - allow say 100kg for Passenger & bags. Job done.

10. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

Nah at least 125kg, buggies weight alittle more ;)

11. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Yeah but I have an... um... *cough*fordka*cough* which aren't spacious for someone tall to say the least, but no one can really sit behind me which makes it a three seater car with a little extra boot space. It was my sisters though.

I'm usually on planes with family so I can just put my legs at an angle and take up a bit of their space :)

As for airline experiences though. I was on a BA flight and they burst a hydraulic hose in the engine. Took over an hour to fix the problem and it was boiling on the plane. Only one drink was served during this time.

To top off that flight, the "vegetarian" option contained a yoghurt with gelatine in it!

12. Becky

Becky Member

No dissing the KA, I love mine! Even if my knees do hit the steering wheel with the seat all the way back :)

13. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

I love my car really. :)

I just get abuse for having a "girls" car ;)

14. Becky

Becky Member

lol it is a bit girly, but damn it's cheap to run :p

15. Alex L

Alex L Senior Member

Not bad for a 1.3 at least, the only friend that is cheaper overall to run is using a 1.0.

By the way, do you find the back seats incredibly uncomfortable?

16. Becky

Becky Member

I have never sat in them :p

17. br3n

br3n Senior Member

I bet you get better than the 18 mpg I often see...

18. CSparkes

CSparkes Senior Member

I know that problem as well Bren! Man and with fuel £1.11 per litre not happy times!

And Alex, yes it is a VERY girly car! lol, but if gets your from A to B all that matters.