Should I take work that the contractor won't let us use for promotional reasons?

Neon

Hi all...

bit of a long one. My business partner and I bid for a 24k job in the heritage sector, we are a new company so I knew we probably wouldn't get it. However, I wanted to use the opportunity to get our name to the client. We really focused on the creative submission-big debate I know - (I've just purchased 'win without pitching), but you've got to start somewhere and it was good experience.

The job was an exhibition that is going to tour. It was a local company so I instantly had a connection. The design in our town is not of great standard hence why I set up a studio after gaining experience in a city. I got in front of the client and really got on with them. They were impressed with us and we got shortlisted to the final two. However, they went with a bigger agency that focuses on 3d and has an amazing portfolio of 3d projects, because they had more experience. However, We approached this agency at the beginning of the project to ask if they wanted to collaborate on it with us. I did this because I worked once with for agency that worked with this same company in this way. We sent them our ideas and brief because they said they would work on it with us.

However, a week later they said they were going for it! Dog eat dog, business, I understand that. But I was annoyed that they said this after we sent them the details of the job. Anyway, we were always going to have competition. The thing is, the company that won asked us to have a meeting about us working on the graphic design side. Great! Win win. Nope, they have offered my business partner and I £2,000, to do the design concepts and 1st proof of amends. This would be okay, cos it may be the start of a working relationship BUT, they won't let us use our work as promotion, or mention the client name. I went back to them for £3,000 sayiing I have added a premium on because we can't use it for exposure. They sent a 'sorry you don't want to work with us email today' with no move on their budget at all. Are the bluffing? Do I call them in the morning and go for it? We are a new business...a jobs a job...but do we start as we mean to go on?

Back