Should I leave my job for agency experience?

Should I leave my job for agency experience?

• Total voters

ethan_3000

Hello Everyone,

So I'm in this current position of a designer in-house, I have currently been looking for a new position somewhere that is more core creative overall as the design part of the job is fizzling out where I currently am.

A lot of the feedback has been that I don't have agency experience overall and I have had this response many times even though they all say my portfolio and work is excellent. I have been offered agency experience for 2 weeks to a month and I feel that this could really be a big step up for the key experience, but should I leave my current job for this? Ofcourse there are two sides to the argument, one being that I'm leaving full-time employment but at the same time staying will not help me in the long run.

Any advice is very welcome!

Many thanks

If I were in our position I'd be staying where I am but still looking for employment elsewhere. A month of agency experience really isn't much, and I doubt it would change a potential employers opinion. I find it slightly odd that they like your work but don't want to hire you because of lack of experience. What sort of positions are you applying for? Mid-weight, senior?

If I were in our position I'd be staying where I am but still looking for employment elsewhere. A month of agency experience really isn't much, and I doubt it would change a potential employers opinion. I find it slightly odd that they like your work but don't want to hire you because of lack of experience. What sort of positions are you applying for? Mid-weight, senior?
Well, unfortunately, it is the case with most of the feedback is that they love my work but went with someone with more experience agency wise. Most of them have been for a Junior Designer/Designer overall. Even during the feedback they have also suggested that I approach places for agency experience also, so the whole thing is very confusing.

It is slightly confusing as you do have experience and agencies don't work that differently.

I'd be reluctant to leave your current role as you are employed which always looks better.
Maybe keep a good relationship with the agency that offered you the experience and maybe take them up at a later date?

Well, unfortunately, it is the case with most of the feedback is that they love my work but went with someone with more experience agency wise. Most of them have been for a Junior Designer/Designer overall. Even during the feedback they have also suggested that I approach places for agency experience also, so the whole thing is very confusing.

That's weird, especially at a junior position where agency experience generally isn't expected. It's the position mostly filled by graduates who typically have some agency experience, but nothing that can't be learnt in the first few months. I wonder if they're maybe using lack of experience as an excuse not to hire you? It could be that there was already someone in line for that position (had that happen a few times) and the interview was just a legal requirement. Or, and don't take this the wrong way, it could be that they actually didn't like your work but didn't want to offend you.

If you're comfortable doing so you can post your work on the forums and we can offer some opinion. Or you can send a link to myself privately and I'll have a discreet look.

That's weird, especially at a junior position where agency experience generally isn't expected. It's the position mostly filled by graduates who typically have some agency experience, but nothing that can't be learnt in the first few months. I wonder if they're maybe using lack of experience as an excuse not to hire you? It could be that there was already someone in line for that position (had that happen a few times) and the interview was just a legal requirement. Or, and don't take this the wrong way, it could be that they actually didn't like your work but didn't want to offend you.

If you're comfortable doing so you can post your work on the forums and we can offer some opinion. Or you can send a link to myself privately and I'll have a discreet look.
I know it is a very confusing one. Well during interviews they are always engaged in my work and they always say how much they like it and asking regular questions so I'm not sure if it's that. It's just very confusing and to be honest, it is getting me down a bit because I just think I will never progress in the industry. Some feedback has also been that they have hired someone with a bit more direct experience/experience in general. I try to showcase diversity in the type of projects I have done so it shows my core skills of Branding, Graphic Design, UI/UX, Logo Design, Print Design, and Commercial Packaging but I don't know it never seems to be enough.

Don't be discouraged.

This is probably the most difficult time in your career but at least you have your foot on the ladder.
If you're not producing the kind of work you want to do then do some personal projects.
These can keep you sane, increase your skills and also boost your folio.

Don't be discouraged.

This is probably the most difficult time in your career but at least you have your foot on the ladder.
If you're not producing the kind of work you want to do then do some personal projects.
These can keep you sane, increase your skills and also boost your folio.
Hello Scotty,

Yes, that is what I have been doing for a while now my own projects in a whole range of different design outputs such as UI/UX, Branding, Graphic Design, Print & Packaging. Although these certain projects get a lot of praise from interviewers it never seems to be enough to secure anything. The usual feedback I get from my portfolio is that the work is excellent and also the broad spectrum of projects but I don't know it never seems to be enough overall. Would you mind taking a look at my Behance and letting me know what you think I could improve or focus more on?

Hello Scotty,

Yes, that is what I have been doing for a while now my own projects in a whole range of different design outputs such as UI/UX, Branding, Graphic Design, Print & Packaging. Although these certain projects get a lot of praise from interviewers it never seems to be enough to secure anything. The usual feedback I get from my portfolio is that the work is excellent and also the broad spectrum of projects but I don't know it never seems to be enough overall. Would you mind taking a look at my Behance and letting me know what you think I could improve or focus more on?

Of course I wouldn't mind. :D PM me a link if you'd like to keep things private or hit me up on Behance.

Back