Should I have a minimum charge?

JBD

Hello,

I have been doing some work for a bi-monthly magazine for the last year.
The editor who is a friend of mine has been sending customers to me for the design of adverts that appear in the mag, occasionally a customer will ask me to make a small change to an ad, this might be just a date change or a price change.
Although this is something that will only take 10 minutes to do I am conscious that the more new adverts I do, the more small changes I'm going to get in the future.

I am now thinking that I should have a minimum charge for these small changes, I'm interested to hear what people think would be a fair charge.

Thanks in advance.
Joe

I do a weekly newspaper ad for a local company (they didn't want it done in-house) I charge them a flat fee, as it never takes me more than an hour to do the advert. So whatever the changes I get the same amount (be it one word, or the entire advert. The customer knows the work will be done, I know I'll get paid - everyone's a winner.

It's lower than what I'd charge for "regular" work (as it's the same basic layout every week), but it's discounted as I know i'll get it every week (plus some extra work on the side) and he pays the next day. I also have a clause where if the advert increases in size (i.e. to an entire page - bear in mind this is broadsheet, it will cost proportionately more, to compensate for my time)

Hope that helps, I did ramble, sorry!

Thanks Becky,
This is actually what I do for the initial advert design, I have got set prices for a full page, half page, quarter & 1/8 page as this makes it easier when a potential customer enquires about advertising in the magazine. It's just when they come back 2 months later wanting that small change, I don't wan't to put them off of using me again in the future but I feel that I should be charging something.

JB1 said:
Thanks Becky,
This is actually what I do for the initial advert design, I have got set prices for a full page, half page, quarter & 1/8 page as this makes it easier when a potential customer enquires about advertising in the magazine. It's just when they come back 2 months later wanting that small change, I don't wan't to put them off of using me again in the future but I feel that I should be charging something.

Ya my case is different as I do it every week. But a small fee for amendments would be the way to go. If they're "amending" the entire advert... that's a full charge.

Back