Should Graphic Designers have a social responsibility?

jamieleung

Please may I have your opinions on this

All opinions will be greatly respected

Arggh Im currently writing an essay on this for Uni .... Mine is 'The Social & Moral Responsabilities of Graphic Design Used Within The Tobacco Industry' im focusing mainly on the new shock warning images bein used on tobacco packaging

jamieleung said:

I'd guessed this was for some research for an essay or something similar!
In answer to your question, yes, yes they should.

TBH It's a very broad question, do you have any specific areas to look into? I'd also recommend getting involved in a few of the other threads around the forums, then people will get to see your participation and no doubt be more responsive on assisting you with your research :)

Thanks (and welcome to Design Forums)
Greg

jamieleung said:

NO!!!

We are businessmen first and marketeers second. That doesn't mean we don't have a conscience.
We are no different to Lawyers. Our job is to achieve an objective, not to save souls or reflect society. Let's leave that to Bono and his soapbox.
We get a brief, we solve a problem. We are salesmen who use design to sell.

Hi Greg
We need to make reference to the 'First things First' Manifestos of the years 1964 and 2000.

I am sorry about the broadness of the question but that is the essay question.
"Should Graphic Designers have a social responsibility?"

jamieleung said:
I am sorry about the broadness of the question but that is the essay question."Should Graphic Designers have a social responsibility?"

No problems, I just wondered if had any more specific focus at all as it seems very broad, I guess that's to leave scope for you to take it in your own direction to an extent.

Yeah I am coming across some very useful information and happened to see the forum and thought I could have a crack at posting the question and see what comments if any pop up :D

Thanks for your input on the question much appreciated :D

Berry said:
NO!!!

We are businessmen first and marketeers second. That doesn't mean we don't have a conscience.
We are no different to Lawyers. Our job is to achieve an objective, not to save souls or reflect society. Let's leave that to Bono and his soapbox.
We get a brief, we solve a problem. We are salesmen who use design to sell.

Best Post Ever!

I kind of almost agree with Berry (capitalist pigs at heart?) but then it would really depend for me. I'm not going to help McDonalds market their new 'heart-attack-in-box' meal to kids by designing a nice box, but thats not to say I would turn any job they sent my way.

Purplegurl said:
Ok so how does everyone feel about the new shock warning images on tobacco packaging .... will it work???

No!
If millions of pounds worth of advertising, PR, and marketing, and legislated Anti-smoking laws in public hasn't stopped them purchasing their fags - a 100mm x 50mm image ain't going to make a dint in changing someone's actions.

It's just a politcal exercise from the goverment to be seen to be doing something.

Ah but we are not the first to introduce these images ... Canada was one of the first, 7 years ago and they have noted an almost 50% reduction in tobacco sales since the launch of the campaign so that shows they do work on a percentage of smokers. They are very scary images.

Purplegurl said:
Ah but we are not the first to introduce these images ... Canada was one of the first, 7 years ago and they have noted an almost 50% reduction in tobacco sales since the launch of the campaign so that shows they do work on a percentage of smokers. They are very scary images.

Sorry, I work in advertising and don't believe any of that for one minute. Seen all this before in the 70's 80' ,90's with drink driving, smoking, aids, healthy eating,condoms etc. etc.
What works is the power of Third Party influence, not First Party. It is through others that the 'owner' changes. The education of children at primary school has been a powerful tool in persuading parents to cease smoking through child/parent persuasion. People know smoking is bad and unhealthy and deadly. How dead can an 'image' on a box be? Advertising only sells. People change people.

Oh i totally agree but dont you think these images help to educate smokers and non smokers .... how many children are going to pick up a packet of cigs and show it to their parents say 'i dont want you to look like this' now .... its a tool to aid in the education to the dangers of smoking its not a final soloution

Agreed, but first post said " will it work?" It may have a small influence as part of the mix. But it's still a political show. We could cut road traffic accidents by half if we put a legal 70 miles an hour limiter on all cars as per the legal speed limit - But who would buy the cars then? And if no-one bought the cars, who would buy the petrol, and if no-one bought the petrol, how would the goverment get their 70% fuel tax.
Average £1.00 per litre fuel
Cost per litre of crude oil extraction: 8p
Cost per litre of refining: 2p
Cost per litre to transport to UK: 2p
Cost per litre to transport to pumps: 6p
Retailer @12p
UK TAX @ 70%: 70p!

On a slightly different subject can i just say i love the 'blood from a stone' image on your website Berry... its so obvious and to me that makes it brilliant :)

Thankyou. Simplicity is often the most effective solution. And answers generally lie right under your nose. You don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

Purplegurl said:
Ok so how does everyone feel about the new shock warning images on tobacco packaging .... will it work???
I believe it will get people thinking twice about purchasing. Maybe not an instant effect, but I think with constand bombardment (is that a word? :) ) and supported education on what the images actually mean, I belive if turning people away from them, then I think it will work for the healthy minded individual.

It is my belief that smoking is becoming a way of saying 'F**k you' to society, its my body and I want to destroy it.

so in conclusion, I think it will help the people that want to be helped, but not everyone, and maybe not the masses of its target audience..

*edit* I missed the second page.. sorry for an outdated post DOH!

I think a picture of a hot guy or a hot girl making an "ewww" face staring right at the purchaser will work much better.

That's the face when they see their date has black gum. I think that's a lot more disturbing.

Back