Setting up my first Flash website

rosedani

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of setting up my own portfolio website using Flash CS4. My skills in Flash are VERY basic and can handle the very simple actions of timeline animations but what I require will test my skills a bit further than that!

My current site is here: Dan Rose - Graphic Designer

I set this up using an online design service called wix but would like to re-create it all in Flash so it runs smoother/quicker! I also want to add a few extra elements to the design as well because, due to the limitations of wix, I couldn't really get it looking how I wanted.

If possible, could someone point me in the right direction to an easy to follow tutorial that will teach me how to construct this site from scratch using Flash?

Feedback on my existing site design would be helpful as well!

Cheers
Dan

first I'm going to say that site was just painfully slow to navigate, you could have done pretty much all of that using a bit of javascript and css.

As to the site, the colours great unless you have an issue seeing blues/greens

Yeah, I know the whole user experience of my existing site is very slow! I really need to re-create it using either a mixture of Dreamweaver and Flash... or I was going to try and create it all in Flash, and treat it as a bit of a learning project for the program.

The problem is I don't know where to start with Flash and was after a good tutorial that would help me out a bit.

Yeah, I've searched around quite a bit online but haven't managed to find one that covers the whole process from start to finish. Perhaps I'm asking too much from a free tutorial. Might try signing up to Lynda.com.

Hi Dan,

To be honest Dan that website shouldn't be in flash, there is no need for it, would be so much nicer if css/html and jquery was used.

Brett

I might design it two ways... one using CSS/html and another version in Flash. Just wanted to gain some experience putting together a whole site using Flash to build my knowledge of the program.

Hmmm I know what your saying but not sure of having the benefit of having two versions that will function exactly the same, you can recreate most the animated effects using jquery on the html/css version that the flash site currently has, for example on our site www.peekaboodesign.co.uk when you click into the site it loads the projects thumbnails as if it was flash, but just plain old jquery.

I agree good to showcase flash skills but only used in the right context...

Brett

I'd steer clear of Flash. Full Flash websites are horrible, plus you're better off learning JS over Flash. Flash is becoming more and more redundant by the day…

Harry said:
I'd steer clear of Flash. Full Flash websites are horrible, plus you're better off learning JS over Flash. Flash is becoming more and more redundant by the day…
especially with css animations that are being proposed :)

Thanks for the tips guys... bit of an eye opener hearing that Flash could be redundant in a few years! Might spend more time on the CSS/HTML version first and see if I can get the desired effect.

Thanks again, you've all been a great help!

Back