setting up a portable studio

sue pinchin

Hi, can anyone recommend equipment I would need for product photography. The equipment needs to be portable, easy to store, and inexpensive. Also any tips for taking product shots would be great too.

Cheers:)

For small items for product shoots a light box / cocoon is the way forward - cheap and as above says use a light source either side and you are good to go.

For bigger items you will need a background support and either fabric or paper rolls - i use sonething similar to this - Calumet Background Support Kit - MF6090 - MF6090

There are loads of help online for product photography - mine are;

- use a tripod
- use off camera lights and multiple light sources to avoid / reduce unwanted shadows
- use a high Aperture setting / priority to get as much as you can in sharp focus
- set aside a lot of time to practice and to post-process
- note down camera / light settings etc if doing a series to maintain uniformity across images

Thanks for the advice and tips, its helped me make up my mind now - tents are a cheap option so I'll try that first.

Cheers!

Hey,

Dependant on what you are shooting, id invest in some studio lighting equipment such as Bowens or Interfit complete with Umbrellas.

A suitable DLSR with Macro extension cubes or a standard 17-55mm lens.

A cube light studio box, can be picked up off Ebay for no more than £15.00, and a tripod is essential when you are looking for accuracy.

Also you may need to invest in an infrared studio trigger to trigger the flash.

Thanks,

Sam

Back