Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

setting up a portable studio

Discussion in 'Photography' started by sue pinchin, Oct 27, 2010.

1. sue pinchin

sue pinchin Junior Member

Hi, can anyone recommend equipment I would need for product photography. The equipment needs to be portable, easy to store, and inexpensive. Also any tips for taking product shots would be great too.

Cheers:)

2. Sunburn

Sunburn Active Member

A Camera to start with.

EZcube Light Box

2-3 fill lights to reduce the shadows

and some products

3. For small items for product shoots a light box / cocoon is the way forward - cheap and as above says use a light source either side and you are good to go.

For bigger items you will need a background support and either fabric or paper rolls - i use sonething similar to this - Calumet Background Support Kit - MF6090 - MF6090

There are loads of help online for product photography - mine are;

- use a tripod
    - use off camera lights and multiple light sources to avoid / reduce unwanted shadows
    - use a high Aperture setting / priority to get as much as you can in sharp focus
    - set aside a lot of time to practice and to post-process
    - note down camera / light settings etc if doing a series to maintain uniformity across images

4. sue pinchin

sue pinchin Junior Member

Thanks for the advice and tips, its helped me make up my mind now - tents are a cheap option so I'll try that first.

Cheers!

5. samjacksondesign

samjacksondesign Senior Member

Hey,

Dependant on what you are shooting, id invest in some studio lighting equipment such as Bowens or Interfit complete with Umbrellas.

A suitable DLSR with Macro extension cubes or a standard 17-55mm lens.

A cube light studio box, can be picked up off Ebay for no more than £15.00, and a tripod is essential when you are looking for accuracy.

Also you may need to invest in an infrared studio trigger to trigger the flash.

Thanks,

Sam