Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious Macbook Trouble!

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by Adam, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Adam

Adam Senior Member

Hey Guys

Hoping someone can help, i just went to turn my Macbook on and i've got a white screen with a grey folder flashing with "?" in it. I've read on the net this is hard drive failure, i haven't even had it a year yet!

Has anyone experienced this or knows how to fix it? I'm useless with boot problems on a Mac

2. tim

tim Senior Member

I'm predicting at least one "get a PC" comment.

anywho... this happened to me. had to pay £250 to get it fixed.
  3. berry

berry Active Member

OOOPPS!!!! This happened to my old MacBook Pro a year ago. I lost everything, couldn't retrieve anything, The hard drive just 'fried.' Have you backed up?
    If it's under a year then you'll be covered. mine happened at 13 months!!!! New laptop.....
  4. tim

tim Senior Member

Oh more serious problem that mine... mine just gave a white screen, didn't read that your hard drive is f*cked.
  5. Adam

Adam Senior Member

I'm in Warranty as I got it in June last year, so at least i know its covered. The only thing is I haven't backed up for a while, luckily i haven't done any freelance work since, the only thing I may lose is my latest website design for myself.

Don't even know why it happens? I've tried all the fixes on apples site, looks like i'll have to take it down to Southampton Store and get it looked at :(
  6. Adam

Adam Senior Member

I'm livid right now, i can't even get the installer disc out of the fucking drive because its not working.
  7. berry

berry Active Member

I hate Apple. We've had 7 G5's go into repair because the motherboard was f*cked. 2 were under the first year warranty, the others 13-14moths old. I think Apple build them now with a built in meltdown mechanism that's linked into your warranty! I complianed to Apple and they said that the G5's are not built for constant 'proffesional' use and i should be using a tower system as it has a better cooling fan system!!!
  8. Adam

Adam Senior Member

I've tried everything on their site to try and fix it, nothing works. I managed to get the disc out in the end before i launched it across the room.
    Looks like i'm off to Southampton to the Apple store to get it fixed.

I have most of my back up thank god, but its little things i've lost like all of my bookmarks and everything, i'm gutted!
  9. Ouch thats not pleasant Adam :( I hope that you manage to get it fixed somehow :) I would ask my Mac Engineer mate to help out but he's in San Fransico at the moment :(
  10. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

if it add's to the problems pile, mine wont charge right now!
  11. tim

tim Senior Member

mine does. (just to laugh in the face of macdeath)
  12. mrp2049

mrp2049 Senior Member

this is tim...
  13. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

I've had this problem on a slightly older system.

The flashing folder doesn't necessarily mean total hard drive failure, at least it didn't in my case. It turned out that something had happened and the startup directory got lost, or moved. So it couldn't find the correct file to initiate the startup.

I solved this problem by using a program called disc warrior.

I started up the problem mac and put it into firewire mode, which basically turns the computer into an external hard drive, connected it via a firewire cable to another computer and ran disc warrior through it.

Disc warrior scans the hard drive for problems and re-orders directories etc. I'm not an expert or anything but this did solve the problem for me.

Or it could be that your hard drive is up the shoot, but it's not the end of the world if it's in warranty. Just pretty frustrating when you have lost stuff, I know.

This might not help but it might be worth a try if you can get your hands on a copy of disc warrior and have another mac to do the diagnostic. The Apple store might do something similar to check the problem anyway though.

Hope this helps.

@Tim: Macdeath, is that the one where Steve Jobs kills Bill Gates to become king of Scotland resulting in an army disguised behind really bad PC screensavers of trees turning up to overthrow him?

Might have taken that a bit too far. :)
  14. Adam

Adam Senior Member

I don't think its very mature or funny to laugh at my current situation, how would you feel Tim if your mac decided to die and you lost some files or work?

I tried everything last night to fix it but unfortunately nothing worked, i'm ringing the support/technical apple line today to let them know and then using my local apple re-seller to send it to them to get it fixed. I'd be over the moon if they fixed it and i got it back how it was, but i'm not being too optimistic, it looks like i'll be having a fresh install and will have to hope that I don't need any files or bookmarks again that I lost.

Thank god I haven't got any freelance work going on at the moment, that would be hell if I did, or if I was full time freelance, i'd hate to think what it would be like.
  15. Krey20

Krey20 Senior Member

It is a horrible situation, losing files and having work disrupted etc.
    But you always learn something from these situations, in this case it will be regular backups and being prepared for these things to happen, with computers being computers these things do invariably happen. Being prepared for it and having a plan to put into place so you don't lose anything and you can continue working is all you can do.

I know you don't want to hear these obvious statements at the moment because it won't resolve your problem.

To quote from the now famous BB Book of life:
    Anyone who didn't make a mistake - didn't learn anything.. ( BB BoL)

I'm not poking fun at your situation, and I'm not trying to be condescending, but if you can pull a positive from a negative experience then it's a little compensation.
  16. Adam

Adam Senior Member

Yeah i know what you mean mate, luckily I did back up all my important files, i just never think about backing up bookmarks etc, although from now on I always will!

Just need to keep my Ext HDD safe now so i don't lose the back up! :D
  17. darren

darren Member

You should be able to open all CD/DVD drives with a paperclip. Look for a small hole just under the tray.
  18. matt

matt Member

Never come across this, Macs themselves have always been bullet-proof in my experience, and I put my Mac Pro though an awful lot of heavy-duty video and film work. Krey's advice about turning it to an external disc via firewire and running disk warrior would be a good idea. Otherwise get them to give you a new one and always keep your work backed up in the future; hardware's always replaceable, but work isn't (Berry, you can have that for your Book of Life, I want royalties though).

Unfortunately something like this has to happen before you take back-ups seriously. I lost about three months of work recently (fortunately all the big jobs were backed up), on a dead external drive. It cost me £500 to partially recover the work, but since then I've been super rigorous and organised about back-ups (four separate back-up drives now).
  19. eneyekay

eneyekay Member

that happened to my G4 at my previous workplace after I installed that 'change the appearance of your mac software thingy' that I forget the name of... I fixed it by adding a new hard drive into the G4, installing a new OS on that (boot disc in, hold down C etc) and afterwards, I could see the old hard drive, so I just migrated everything from that to the new one. Not sure if that helps at all with a MacBook?
  20. Adam

Adam Senior Member

What change of appearancec software thingy did you use Nik? I've always had a little thing that changes the login wallpaper to the same as your desktop wallpaper, and wondering if it has anything to do with that? Although i've had it like that for about 6 months so don't know if it would of suddenly decided to break!

I should have it back this week but nearer the end of the week i reckon!