SEO- Where to start?

Dave1975

Hi all,

I'm trying to set aside some time each week to begin learning more about SEO, over the years I've picked up various bits of information and researched the basics, but am keen to learn more. I've got the book 'Get to the top of Google' by David Viney which was recommended to me so going to spend some time going through the information in there, just wondered where everyone else is at with SEO?

What have you found the best source of research/learning to be? Do you have any SEO specific blogs you follow for latest advice?

Thanks,
Greg

As psoted somewhere on the forum before Ive also linked to on my blog.

Check out the Google SEO Starter Guide in on of my posts...

Ive also got a book called The Ultimate Web Marketing Strategy by Ed Rivis. I find it very useful for all sorts of marketing strategies and a lot of it is aimed at upping SEO.

Hey Greg. Go out and buy this months issue of .Net magazine. They've got some really good articles in on the basics of SEO.

I'd be careful what you read on websites though. I read so many contridictions most of the time its hard to know whats what.

One thing you must understand about SEO is that there are 3 engines and each have unique ranking algorithms while some links will get you to the top of Google, they may not get you to Windows Live search or Yahoo!.

But I would be a pretty crap SEO forum moderator if i didn't list the forum where I hang out, when it works that is ~
http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/

Also here's my list of points, added to the blog by the forum editor, to check your site out with to make sure it is SEO accessible.
April 3, 2008 - Search Marketing News Blog - Search Engine Watch (SEW)

I will agree with Mr. lee find one of the big sites and stick with them, 2 have been mentioned on this thread.

Jaz

Thanks for all the links guys, and especially the last one Jaz :D
I've been away for a few days, but now I'm back I'll be going through all the links and sites you mentioned, I'll let you know how I get on in the coming weeks and months, no doubt with many questions to the SEO forum right here.

mrleesimpson said:
Hey Greg. Go out and buy this months issue of .Net magazine. They've got some really good articles in on the basics of SEO.

Still waiting for the new issue to come out down my way! I think it could be time to get a subscription, always end up waiting a while to get the new issues.

Cheers,
Greg

Yeah Seomoz is a good site, I should check it more often.

The other one I would recommend, sorry meant to do it earlier, but forgot, is seoroundtable.

I am slightly biased though as they to have quoted my find in local search, which was big news a few months back ~

Google Changes Local Ranking Algorithm

He, he sorry had to get it in :D
An yes my arrogance does go everywhere with me lol.

Jaz

you should start from the basic terms used in SEO, called SEO Glossary. search this on google. you can find many sites who provides the tutorial on seo glossary.

search this on google

Or Windows Live Search or even Yahoo!.

I never use Google and Google does not have an better SERPs any more Live is by far better. I never need to search more than 1 to find the topic I want and I use it a lot.

polorix said:
WarriorForum - Internet Marketing Forums <-- For serious

"Welcome to our newest member, polorix"
- Have you only just started using WarriorForum yourself? Not heard of it before, but clearly a huge site! Thanks for the link, will take a look around some of the threads.

I just signed up today. A fellow web developer just gave me the link. It's an amazing resource and group of people (MASSIVE GROUP that is) thanks for the welcome =]

polorix said:
I just signed up today. A fellow web developer just gave me the link. It's an amazing resource and group of people (MASSIVE GROUP that is) thanks for the welcome =]

Cool sounds good :) and the welcome to... bit in my reply I copied and pasted from WarriorForum as I noticed you was the newest member :D

Hi Greg

When I started my company last year, I submitted it to about 50 css/web design galleries. After 6 months I had 32,000 visitors to my website and I was ranked highly in google.
I've created a list of a few important ones on my blog

Thanks

Luke

I still maintain that the best thing you can do for (internal/on-site) SEO is to have a well coded website (since many facets of coding to XHTML Strict standard go hand in hand with SEO best practices) and good quality content.

There are a whole bunch of other legitimate things you can do to further optimise your site, but without taking care of those two huge areas it's like peeing in the wind.

Back