SEO Assessment tools

br3n

Found this, might be useful for some?
7 Free SEO Assessment Tools The Stratius Blog

This in particular was very helpful
Website SEO Tool | Website Grader

Heres an extract:

A website grade of 59/100 for www.br3n.co.uk means that of the hundreds of thousands of websites that have previously been evaluated, our algorithm has calculated that this site scores higher than 59% of them in terms of its marketing effectiveness. The algorithm uses a proprietary blend of over 50 different variables, including search engine data, website structure, approximate traffic, site performance, and others.
The website www.br3n.co.uk ranks 470,794 of the 1,163,912 websites that have been ranked so far.
The software is constantly being upgraded and the algorithm enhanced. The number of potential recommendations provided by the tool is also increasing frequently. Please check back often

IV. Social Mediasphere

Making sure that your company has an extensive web presence outside of your own website is important. It increases the chances that your prospects will find your company when they are online since there are more web pages that contain information about your company. Learn more.

A. del.icio.us bookmarks: 3

del.icio.us is a web-based bookmarking site. Delicious users save their bookmarks on the website so they can access them from any browser. A website that has many users bookmarking it is generally popular and will get more traffic.

B. Digg.com Submission Summary

Digg is a social media site where anyone can submit articles, and viewers can vote for articles they like. Very popular articles can make it to the front page of Digg, resulting in more traffic to your website.
The website Brendan 'br3n' Patterson - Designer of furniture & graphics has 0 articles submitted to digg.com. These articles received a total of 0 diggs (votes) and 0 of these articles made it to the front page of digg.com.

Thanks for posting this Bren, just getting my head round all of this as our site is appalling, no tags, keywords alt text. Distinct lack of direct links and anything else that may help. I'm going to print out our results now to give me a starting point to refer back to when I've improved it.

Hey tom, I did pretty much the same - also nice to find that someone had bookmarked my site on del.ic.ious (or whatever its spelled). bonus.

Thanks for the links, should help with my seo as this is my weakest area :)

Just tested my new site (in development) I only got 37/100 but I'm still pretty impressed with myself, I only had really 1 missing alt tag and my metatags (which I knew about) highlighted so it looks like I'm going in the right direction with it :)

There were some bits about some directories (yahoo etc) which I had only just found out about so they were on the list too so overall I'm quite happy at the moment :)

Need to sort out a 303 redirect too, that will be fun :)

edit: We'll need to set up a mutual digg bookmarking scheme too just for the hell of it :)

Levi,

I got 29/100 for a site that's been up for 3 years nearly so you're doing well for one still in development. There seems to be so much information about SEO and a lot of it from more than a year ago seems to get less relevant/useful as the time goes by. Such as keywords and tags I think. It's all about the links apparently? I'm just setting up a (really basic) site for a new venture which will hopefully rank more successfully to start with. Then readdress our main site. Laying out the whole site in illustrator and uploading as un-named gifs is most definately not the way forward. Hindsights a wonderful thing :)

I'm up for a cummunal dig, I'll register, does stumble work the same way?

Im 63/100 ner ner!

I did the 303 redirect cant find the site which had all the different languages and info on but for an apache based server this is the code

In notepad:

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine on
rewritecond %{http_host} ^br3n.co.uk [nc]
rewriterule ^(.*)$ http://www.br3n.co.uk/$1 [r=301,nc]
(obviously replace br3n.co.uk with the relevant)

save as .htaccess and upload to same directory as index

More Info @ http://www.somacon.com/p145.php

Test @ http://www.internetofficer.com/seo-tool/redirect-check/

Response

Checked link: http://br3n.co.uk

Type of redirect: 301 Moved Permanently
Redirected to: http://www.br3n.co.uk/

Nice find thanks for sharing, although I am curious what they base their scoring on.

got a 91/100 for armadillo-creative.com!

Nice tool Bren, like BlueOcto mentioned I wonder how they weight the scores, would be interesting to know! Design Forums got 96.2/100, not bad! but still a lot of room for improvement when compared with some competitor design forums.

ok I've just done some updates (basically what it listed) albeit not completely for the keywords/meta and I've lost a point!!

Levi said:
ok I've just done some updates (basically what it listed) albeit not completely for the keywords/meta and I've lost a point!!

Is it where you score as a percentage of the sites that have been graded. So you may have improved your SEO but if they have loads of sites that are set up with stronger links etc graded since you last did, you will drop down the list?

How long does it take for the changes to take effect?

ok so I've been playing on mine (far from finished though) and as we were trying to work out the weighting of each part.

I've added a single h1 tag, some basic meta tags - keywords, description, owner etc and after a few days (it seems to fluctuate depending on time I check strangely) it seems like I'm now getting 49 instead of 37. Added in links to my favicon and my ipod touch icon (got to have one of those :p) but things like the text and titles are the same as before.

Having said that an almost identical page (no h1) but with the keywords is hitting only 32 but this is a second page.

I dont think its particulary good to base it on just one result, but its an idea of how SEO works.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not taking it as gospel, but it does give a benchmark to see if I've improved my SEO or not by doing such and such.

SEO is a huge money making market so theres no way I would pick up every trick from using just a website :)

mmm one of our main competitors has a score of 92/100 but a google ranking of 5. Our google ranking is 2, is that better?

Google PageRank is that? If it is, 5 is better, but having said that Google PageRank is now a bit dated, and not as important as it once was.

Where do they beat you on the report? Number of sites linking to their site?

Yeah they have just a few thousand more haha

They've been around for 9 years though and we've been around nearly 2 so i guess its not too bad going!

Cool, sounds good, and what's a few thousand back links, sure you'll surpass that in another 7 years! :D

BTW don't forget to update your Copyright date on the site, at the moment you're sooo 2008!

Back