Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sell through stock sites

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by balders, May 25, 2013.

1. balders

balders Member

Does anybody sell through any of these? Like iStock, shutterstock, iphotoCameraFlogIT and Getty. Is it selling your soul to the d€vil? Or is it a nece$$ary evil? I'm only asking because I'm thinking about it.

2. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

Can't say I do but if you're thinking about it why not give it a go with say a limited number of items on each of them (are they free to sign up to?) and see if any of them give a decent return over the same period of time.

3. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

I had a go at this for the first time last year, only 'cos I had an old library of illos I thought I could make use of, and I thought "if you can't beat them..."
    I tried Fotolia 'cos I thought they were a bit more European based than the others, and you can see how many others have sold of each of their images.
    They are a bit picky and you get a lot of rejections. I certainly don't have the time to produce new stuff just for stock, but some people do, and to multiple sites.
    You won't make much money unless you have hundreds if not thousands of images on there. It can be time consuming and you need to upload regularly
    to get on the searches properly on some of them. There's LOTS of competition, but if you treat it as a bit of a pension pot, like me, it can be fun.

4. balders

balders Member

Thanks for the heads up, I might stick some up and see if they get excepted.

5. Basic

Basic Member

Yeah its a funny one. I personally sell my work. Its not getty or istock etc its more for the VJ visuals side. Over the last 3 years I think i've done ok. Its not something I would rely on and its more of a nice suprise every quarter if I make something.From what I've read and from what people have said. Wardy has it spot on.*You won't make much money unless you have hundreds if not thousands of images on there. It can be time consuming and you need to upload regularlyThis is what some people do for a living but it can take a long long time... years infact :)