Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Self set projects

Discussion in 'Graphic Design Forum:' started by rossfranc, Jan 12, 2014.

1. rossfranc

rossfranc New Member

Hi,

I’m interested to know how many of us do our own personal projects.

SO, who does their own personal projects? And if so, why do you do them?

Thanks

Ross

2. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

I do them because it allows me to have complete creative control. I can run with ideas that are unique and fun but a client would probably never go for. It also means you can fill your portfolio with work that you'd want to be hired to do.

3. rossfranc

rossfranc New Member

Thanks for your reply Paul. So your personal projects take the form of client led work?

Do you think that this is a subdued and tightly controlled form of self expression through your overall body of work/portfolio?

4. andybdesign

andybdesign Active Member

Personal projects are a great idea. For me The Print Handbook started as a personal project while I was working at The Media Collective. Now it pays for some of my bills and is shipped all across the world.

That said, I don't think a personal project needs to have a commercial focus. I've done many things just because I wanted to. Personal projects allow you to do the bits you love most about design without having to track your time, bill clients, reply to emails, etc. You just mess around with no pressure.