Self publishing

Lis

Hi there!
I have finally decided to push my illustration work after a few half hearted years!! I have written a couple of children's books which I am intending to submit to publishers or find an agent. I know this is by no means going to be an easy road but hey ho!

Anyway I have recently been contacted by a friend of a friend saying she has written 5 children's books and would like me to illustrate them. However, she has been rejected from a few publishers and decided to take the route of self publishing and has asked me to be a 'co partner' in it.

I have been told self publishing should be a last resort and wondered if any of you have any info about it or any experience? I am thinking I could do some illustrations for the books to bulk up my portfolio anyway as I need some more children's book work in there. However, does being a 'co-partner' mean I would have to contribute to set up costs etc? Do I need to draw up a contract?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Lisa

www.lisamaltby.com

It's a tricky one. I'm about to have my first book published. I managed to find a small publishing house that would would go with it. Like your illustrations. You have the skills.
Have you read the Artist and Writers guide? Lots of help and advice in there.

You've got some nice work there. I'm doing something similar myself with a friend who's written a children's book, and self-publishing was looked into a while back. I imagine "co-partner" might imply contributing financially. If you don't know the "friend of a friend" very well then that is something about which you need to iron out the details.

As Typo says, get a hold of this year's Writer's & Artist's Yearbook if you haven't already, or even The Children's Writer's & Artist's Yearbook. There's plenty of great advice in them.

Best of luck with it Lis.

Lis said:
Hi there!
I have finally decided to push my illustration work after a few half hearted years!! I have written a couple of children's books which I am intending to submit to publishers or find an agent. I know this is by no means going to be an easy road but hey ho!

Anyway I have recently been contacted by a friend of a friend saying she has written 5 children's books and would like me to illustrate them. However, she has been rejected from a few publishers and decided to take the route of self publishing and has asked me to be a 'co partner' in it.

I have been told self publishing should be a last resort and wondered if any of you have any info about it or any experience? I am thinking I could do some illustrations for the books to bulk up my portfolio anyway as I need some more children's book work in there. However, does being a 'co-partner' mean I would have to contribute to set up costs etc? Do I need to draw up a contract?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Lisa

www.lisamaltby.com

With POD (Print On Demand) self publishing has become a great option and you will be able to sell your books on Amazon.

Back