Self Branding Names

Dave1975

Hi guys,

A question I've always had in my mind, what's better for a freelancer, branding under a company name, or branding under your own name?

I've always worked under my own name through GregFindley.com, but have thought of many 'company' name alternatives, I've even designed logos, registered domains and with one got as far as a web design concept!

I would see the advantages of being under a company name being that you can project a bigger images of your company (if needed) and I would personally feel more confident in saying 'Hi, Greg from company name' on the phone for example. That said I do know the advantages of working under your own name, in that you have a personal reputation and people know instantly who they're dealing with.

Interested in hearing everyone's views on this one :confused:
Thanks, Greg

Coming from a corporate background, I have always known how to present under brand names which helps with the bigger projects. I guess it's really what your goals are. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Some big companies do hire freelancers based on short term but would they have second thoughts about assigning long term contracts or tenders for them.

Presenting yourself as a company may scare off people who may think that you are too big or too expensive for them.

Duncan Bannatyne said in his book (don't quote me as it said something like this...) If you want to hire a professional who takes pride in his work then pick someone who trades by his own name...

I see his point. Do a bad job then your physical name becomes bad. Do a good job however then your physical name will spread.

Cheers for the reply Kay, as you say it all depends on personal goals, I think for the time being I'm going to stick with my own name as I have been and look to rebrand that as we discussed on my folio review thread :)

Still interested to hear opinions on this as I will no doubt look at this again in the future.
Thanks, Greg

Go under your own name if you are going freelance if your approaching design agencies. They are employing YOU. It also stops silly or tacky design brand names floating about. For every Pentagram, there are a thousand 'designerz' doing 'grafix'.

Trading under your own name never harmed Micheal Wolf or Wally Olins, Landor, Smith and Milton, Lewis Moberly...

I think I sit somewhere in the middle on this one as I do/my intention is to trade as basicly a freelancer as "The boy who cired fox" as a kind of alter ego.

It started of with my love of getting sayings purposely wrong for my own amusement... and I like to be myself/have fun with my work so that's what I've ended up as.

I think the name sits quiet well as its kind of annoynamous yet doesn't try and kid anyone that I'm some big agency when I'm not, although it would sound perhaps a little strange if I were to grow and have employees answering the phone "Good morning, the boy who cried fox...." but that's not a problem at present.

Like builders/painter, decoraters, never getting a chance to work on their own homes I'm in need of finishing (starting) my new site but I'll post a url once things have progress for some critic

tbwcf said:
It started of with my love of getting sayings purposely wrong for my own amusement... and I like to be myself/have fun with my work so that's what I've ended up as.

I was wondering what had inspired your signature, but didn't like to ask :D

some of my favourites have been:

'like water off a ducks beak"

"shot myself in the face"

I've got loads written down somewhere but can't think of many off the top of my head... now I find myself saying them without even thinking, you should try it sometime! (people tend to either not notice, think your a bit thick but not want to say anything or laugh... )

Someone at work was having a general moan before Christmas and said "I'm sick of being treated like the dogs bollocks" when he obviously meant "sick of being treated like a dogsbody" - I thought that was pretty good (although it wasn't intentional) but when you think about it a dogs bollocks don't get treated too good, most the time their chopped off!

I definitly see the point of trading under your own name now! :) I was toying with the idea of trading under a company name but now I am not going to!

Some designers think that trading under your own name (eg: Peter Barlow Design) is boring and shows a lack of imagination!

PeterBarlow said:
Some designers think that trading under your own name (eg: Peter Barlow Design) is boring and shows a lack of imagination!

In contrast to that, what better mark can you leave for your own reputation than your own name? By trading in your own name I think you show that you're willing to put your name to your reputation and every piece of work you complete.

On Wally Olins site is says "hello, I'm Wally' as an introduction.

When you meet he says the same thing.

If you are a one man band, don't lie. Be truthful. There are advantages with being a one man band. Don't try to be something you are not. People are buying into YOUR creativity, YOUR expertise. If you want to sound bigger and more grown up, why not add associates after your name.

Brand names are great if you are a group of people or have a niche market and need to communicate what you do.

Back