Self-branding logo design

Becky

Hi! Well, I'm trying to set up a new portfolio and website for myself to get a bit of freelancing work.

After about 26 pages of randomness in my Moleskine, I've gone with the name 'Print & Pixels' (I've used my own name in the past, but it's a bit of a pain locally when my father uses the family surname to trade under as well :p)
Moleskine - Print & Pixels Concept Sketches - a set on Flickr

Anyhow I think I've hit on a logo that I like, but I wondered what some of you more informed people think. A few people (non-designers) I've asked like it, but some more professional opinions would be nice :)

A little background: I intend to keep my current job, I just want to be able to have the odd freelancing work on the side, as it'll be something (hopefully) way more creative than I currently do, and it'll help build up my portfolio with some more varied work.

I've gone with Futura as the text but I'm leaning towards Breuer at the moment (I hope this is just a passing whim!)

Aaanyhow, here's the current logo, be gentle, it's my first time (well, so long as you're not as nasty as my HNC teacher was to me I don't mind :p)

pandp1.gif

pandp2.gif

No colours as of yet as I'm still trying to tweak the design, although I did mess around with a business card idea, which I probably won't use :)

Print & Pixels - Concepts/Designs - a set on Flickr

Sorry for rambling, do your worse! :clap:

in my opinion thats a really strong, clever and catchy logo. I love it.

Perhaps the only, tiny thing I'd change is I think the & sign could do with being a little smaller in comparison to the type and also the bottom P of the & feels a bit too strong, maybe decrease the lineweight sloghty.

Clever concept.

I'd work on the typogaphy and size of type.

Maybe look at colour varations. Off the top of my head - a c - m - y k gradiant and blocks of r - g - b ???

Bit of retouching is all it needs and a type rethink.

Absolutely. It's the cleverness that does the trick. The only thing that's bothering me about it is that the bottom P is pulling the logo a little out of shape. Not sure how I should explain it though.

Hi Becky,

As the others have said, nice concept, it's a clever idea, and with a few tweaks I think it will be very strong, I really like the name by the way! Good to see your sketches in the old moleskine too, and like the notes "clever ->" :D

I agree with Bren that the ampersand could be a bit smaller, just to get the balance between that and the type. Look forward to seeing how it develops.

Greg

It's almost great,

the logo looks slightly unbalanced for some reason, I think its the top pixel p needs very slight resizing so that it is a similar size to the lower one..

good work

Thanks for all the comments. I'll have a play around after the weekend with some stuff. I have a few ideas and I'll see what happens.

I'm trying to leave the colours til last, I want to get the feel/shape of it more so than relying on a colour. Saying that I've played with colours, sooo maybe I'll post some of them up too.

Once again, thanks for the input, give me some good food for thought :)

Hi Becky, really like the logo, good to see all the sketches behind it too.

The top 2 are my favourite with the words print and pixels either side. Not sure about when you put the other words either side of it though.

:up:

oooh, just seen the business card ones too, looks good with a bit of colour on the black

:D

Thank you for the replies, much appreciated :)

I've had a short dabble with some of the things mentioned. Hopefully I'll get some more time tomorrow after work to tweak it properly.

A few tweaks with making the pixelated P larger, and the 'ampersand' smaller as a whole, although I can see how people saw it as unbalanced now, I'm going to tweak that also. I haven't really played with the type as I have a couple of ideas, but the stupidly I didn't bring the fonts to work with me (duh!)

pandp3.gif

As for colours, I am leaving that until last really, but just to help I did mess around with some random combinations. The first file is from the original logo, and some test versions, but with a lot of colour combinations.
pandpcoltest.gif

The second one contains a few colour tests on the tweaked (but by no means perfect logos - i.e. the type isn't how I want it, it's a WiP :D)

pandpcol1.gif

Once again, thanks for the input :)

I like it! I think the gentle splash of colour is cool. Bottom left blue is cool in my book.

But they are all pretty fine!

I don't think it really matters. Use whichever colour that fits the situation/context it is placed in.

Back