Self branding help needed!

davewill

After being inspired by Mike Buttery's post Ive decided I really should get around to branding my own logo and identity. At the moment Im really boring and just use my name followed by 'graphic designer & illustrator'. I havent really got a logo as I work full time in a studio so until recently I havent needed one but I am starting to do more and more freelance stuff so I really need my own identity.

For the past few weeks I've been playing with the idea of shortening my surname from 'williams' to just 'will' and then branding myself as 'davewilldesign' which could lead to other sections on my forthcoming website such as 'davewillillustrate' or 'davewillphotograph'. Do people think this is just cheesy though? Is it too long winded? Any comments would be really gratefully received!
________
Amara

I like it too, its simple and made me smile :).

When I was trying to come up with a logo/name (not that I'm finished tbh). I literally sat down and drew/wrote anything that came into my head ... just to get it out. So don't fret if it takes you a while :)

I came up with the daftest things, different characters to relate to different areas, different colours (i..e yellow for branding, red of web, green for print). That sort of thing.

Just remember that no idea is a bad idea :) Looking forward to seeing your ideas!

thanks becky, im sketching as I speak (im in between briefs in work!) so Ill aim to post all my rambling sketches asap. im trying abit of word association, some thought clouds, playing with the letters D W D and just randomly sketching anything in my head so I'll see what comes out!
________
Colorado Marijuana Dispensaries

Be interesting to see how it looks Dave, with some nice typography it could be as simple as having the will in italics, Davewill design

Imagine it would have some legs with mailouts/promotional tools as well, like does anyone know who can design me a website etc? Davewill :)

yeah that was the route I was trying to go in, I just didnt know if it sounded cheesy! then again, from what Ive read of mike buttery's thread im thinking maybe I should try and take advantage of my name as much as possible
________
No2 Vaporizer

So here's a few sketches Ive been doodling this afternoon, all based around the name davewilldesign. I'm just throwing this out there so feel free to comment. I really don't know what direction to take this, whether I should just use initials for a logo, or use a typographic style with the whole name. It really is true what they say about designing for yourself!
________
Washington Marijuana Dispensaries

Attachments

• davewilldesign sketches.jpg
    davewilldesign sketches.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 68
Davewillstopblamingmikebutteryforthispost!!

I kid, but looking at the doodles, I think you need to polish the 'DaveWill' bit, as I see the design, illustrate, photograph, as the add on, Much like 'Halifax' (main) and 'Extra' (extra)

I quite like the pencil idea, sandwich the name inbetween 2 bookends, so for design its a pencil, illustrate a paint brush, photograph, a camera etc.

I maybe way off! Excited to see where this goes!

I'd be tempted to keep it typographical if you are serious about the "DaveWill" idea. If you have something else it will dilute that basic idea.
I'd keep focused on that premise and make a really clean and clever typographical solution. Maybe make a monogram to be used as part of the brand. Remember a logo isn't a brand.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, Im still in the process of sketching more refined ideas. I agree I should maybe look to keep it typographical. I would like a visual element to go with my name but maybe it would dilute the basic idea. I'll keep you posted on any updates.

And Mike... this is all your fault! ;)
________
Bonny cam

just to update to this thread, I have now applied the Dave Will Design branding to my blog, facebook page and twitter. it still needs a lot more refining, but I really wanted to get something out there asap so it does a job for now!

Ive posted about it on my blog here, so let me know what you guys think.
________
California medical marijuana dispensaries

Hi Guys, thanks for all those who offered comments, compliments and critique as Ive struggled with my own personal branding over the past few months. As you all know yourselves, it always gets put to the bottom of the pile priority wise when doing work for yourself but I had a quiet day yday so decided to take a fresh look at it.

I think the current typography Im using (mainly Grobold) is ok, it hopefully gives the impression that im friendly, approachable, playful and dont take myself too seriously. However, when I compare it to other things on the web I cant help but think I can do much better. Below are 5 ideas I am playing around with but Im so close to this project now I would appreciate people taking a look with a fresh pair of eyes and let me know what you think.

From my point of view, I really like the dave will part, I like the typography, I like the way the 'e' of dave becomes the dot of the i and i like the shape the overall davewill makes. Im not sure however how to sign off with the design line. Ive suggested 5 options so please let me know your opinions and any suggestions on how else it could be tackled or how it could be improved.

p.s The colourways are only basic red and black for now until I get happy with it then I will apply my choice of colours.
________
Live Sex Webshows

Attachments

• Dave Will Personal Branding Options.jpg
    Dave Will Personal Branding Options.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 32
If I am being honest, I really like the current look (especially the blog header). I think the "e" as the dot of the "i" starts to take away from the "dave will".

hmmm, thanks for your input iain, i just think typographically my current look is too basic. Theres no thought involved or clever shapes, it is literally Grobold typed out and resized. im not sure if it is strong enough as a stand alone logo for business cards, letterheads etc
________
Web shows

I think that it currently has the issue of being amazing when you see dave will ___ on lots of things
and it lacks when you see just one on its own.

Sadly most people out of our industry will see just one on its own
but the same people will be the ones who take less notice (consciously) of whether its smart or just some words.

I agree with Iain though, taking away from the Dave Will is a bad idea.

yeh Renniks, I know it will look more interesting/exciting if I rolled out a list of Dave Will...Design/Photograph/Illustrate etc but I havent had the chance to do that yet as all Im doing at the moment is pure design.

I dont want to take away from the Dave Will idea, I want to improve it, especially the aesthetics of the logo itself

Iain, that is v.true, but Im not sure if im doing myself any favours offering my services as a designer when my own logo is so basic it could have been done by anyone
________
Da Buddha Review

davewill said:
Iain, that is v.true, but Im not sure if im doing myself any favours offering my services as a designer when my own logo is so basic it could have been done by anyone

I think it shows you know when to stop, and not over design something. There is always the temptation to do more, but the result has to suit the brief. If your portfolio is strong enough then people will see you are capable of more, when appropriate.

Back