Self branding help needed!

Thanks for everyone comments and help so far. Ive been giving my branding much thought today and think it makes logical sense that I should aim to be taken quite seriously as a designer and then do the odd 'fun' project as it is v.difficult to do this the other way round. (i.e brand myself in a fun playful way but then aim to get serious projects off the back off that.)

In light of this Ive started playing around with typography and wondered what peoples thoughts were on the first draft ive put together below. (Note: Colours arent final, just aim to show the davewill would be constant weras the rest could vary)

The DAVEWILLDESIGN would be my main company name and would be seen across business cards, letterheads, website etc but then sub brands such as illustration,photography,blogging etc will derive from the main brand as shown. (I have quickly chosen fonts to replicate each discipline but they are far from final, just there to give an idea of what I have in mind, colours are for illustrative purposes only at this stage)

Any thoughts/comments?
________
AVANDIA DEATH

Attachments

• DWDESIGN.jpg
    DWDESIGN.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 8
  • additional DWs.jpg
    additional DWs.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 21
Sorry I've not been about much lately!

I get where you're coming from, wanted to go in a similar direction myself, excuse the crude attempt, it was toying with an early idea before I settled on Print & Pixels http://rbryant.co.uk/work/COLOURIFIC.jpg

As Much as it's quite cool (for want of a better word) to have each discipline in an apt font. I think it may look more cohesive to have them all follow the same style and use either subtle gradients, or different colours for each section (think tuts+ network).

thanks for your comments becky, im just experimenting with the type now to see how it looks all in the same font.

i think you are right when you say there is more cohesion when they all look the same.

i might just use a slight tint of what ever the master logo uses to differentiate between each discipline rather than using different colours for each one. Ill post my progress.
________
Web shows

Hi guys, with the new year comes renewed determination to crack my personal branding once and for all! Im in the process of putting my own portfolio site together but I really cant style it til im happy with my personal "look". Ive put this identity together over the holidays so what do you guys think?

The idea is that by creating an identity that sits in the circle it can lend itself to a variety of applications and adds something extra to the simple typography. The pencils are just there to reinforce the design message. I also see the text working outside of the circle as plain type when necessary.

Any feedback would be great! thanks!

Attachments

• DWD 2011.jpg
    DWD 2011.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 17
I really like the left one, but the pencils are a little strong, they draw the eye away from the name. What if one or both were replaced with some kind of symmetrical design? The overall look puts me in mind of a trendy fashion label.

Thanks Jim,
Good point about the pencils. Ill play around with that now.
I'll take the fashion label comparison as a compliment i think!

So a quick tweak attached following Jims feedback. Looking at it again the pencils were too strong. Originally I wanted a symbol related to my work but after racking my brain and ignoring the cliche symbols (pc, mouse, apple symbol) Ive decided to go with a star. It represents quality, success and I like the fact that the overall design has a hint of coffee branding about it (seeing tho coffee is the staple diet of any designer!) Im not sure about the est.2001, it fills the space but is it necessary?
Thanks again to all who are helping me out, i really appreciate it!

Attachments

• DWD 2011v2.jpg
    DWD 2011v2.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 24
Loving the star, I think it would fit the balance of the rest of the image more with some kind of swirl either side... Actually no, that would possibly clutter it all up.. Est 2001 I'm not so sure of yet, it fits in tho. Looking quality mate.

thanks Jim, im just looking over it again myself. This is what my mini brief stated when I started out...

1. Strong simple typography (no gimicks, no clever double meanings etc)
2. Works in black and white plus colour
3. Can be scaled down small (if it doesnt work in the circle I can still use the 'DaveWillDesign' type on its own)
4. Can be applied to a number of end products (website, print, packaging, stationery)
5. Distinctive look, easily recongnisable

I feel like im finally getting close!

You're doing better than me mate, I'm rather stuck on doing my own! An ink splat with my name in it feels rather unimaginative.

Haha well it all depends on the originality of the splat! But nah I'm just messing with the idea until something more original comes to mind. "It's a Thing in progress, respect the Thing!"

Haha, you've got me guys!

I was abit concerned on Tuesday that my new branding would look like Starbucks, obviously that's not a worry anymore!

Any thoughts Greg on the logo itself? (mine I mean, not Starbucks!)

I quite like it Dave, the only thing I'm a little unsure on is the dotted lines between the star and the type, are they needed? Think it might get lost/look blurred at small sizes, I like the dotted line around the circle, but think the others may be too much? I could be wrong though! :)

I really, really like the "Dave Will..." idea. It's quirky and fun. I've never been a fan of just sticking the word design or creative after someone's name so it's great to see this approach to it.

Back