[Seeking Feedback] New Website Design

Hey guys!

We recently re-launched our website, and we're interested to hear what the general design community has to say about it!

1. Tell us what you like

2. Tell us what you dislike

3. General ideas for improvements, comments on usability, and overall design are welcome!

Check Out Our New Website

I feel everything moves too much, quite flashy in your face sort of feel. The general scrolling feels a bit over the time, maybe over complicated such as choosing the 3 doors - I don't like to click on something I don't know where it will lead me. For some positives, I like some of the design work and it looks like a really fun place to work.

Honestly I think you've overdone the 'effects' and lesser systems will likely struggle with displaying them smoothly. I also think you've just added animations for animations sake, in some places they don't really add much to the design.

Another thing I think needs working on is that apart from that first page saying you're an advertising company you don't really say much about what you do and you've tucked the one page, services, that would tell a potential client what you do under a drop down menu called about... which isn't logical placement for me personally.

To me there are usability issues to the site, it isn't really that intuitive and if fellow designers are 'struggling' with some aspects just think what a normal user would think.

Hey Levi,

Thanks for the in-depth response. The animations are completely CSS3 driven, which means by-in-large they're quite light. Images more then anything would hinder a user on a weaker bandwidth, but in 2014 it seemed (through our research) that most minimum system requires still load our assets pretty quickly. If you take a look at some benchmarking, we're loading our assets at about 2.5 seconds, which is pretty much on par with what's to be expected.

In terms of 'animations for animations sake' can you expand upon that a bit further? In which specific areas do you feel the animations are over done?

As for the usability, what parts of the website are you struggling with specifically? I feel as though this comment was a bit glossed over. I understand that we are in fact using a drop down, but all areas of our business are tucked below a single category 'about'. I don't think that intuitively, someone would not look there. The services page in particular has emphasis in terms of where it's places, as well as clear CTA's on the home and company page.

Please don't take these retorts as defensive by any means, I'm really just seeking some further insight as it seems you took a some time to write your initial response. Thanks!

Levi said:
Honestly I think you've overdone the 'effects' and lesser systems will likely struggle with displaying them smoothly. I also think you've just added animations for animations sake, in some places they don't really add much to the design.

Another thing I think needs working on is that apart from that first page saying you're an advertising company you don't really say much about what you do and you've tucked the one page, services, that would tell a potential client what you do under a drop down menu called about... which isn't logical placement for me personally.

To me there are usability issues to the site, it isn't really that intuitive and if fellow designers are 'struggling' with some aspects just think what a normal user would think.

Hey, I'm finding the site overly busy, like the other guys have said. And portfolio wise, I feel that you've over-done that, in the sense, it's an effort to find your work. i.e., quote, snippet of the project, quote, snippet etc. etc. I don't know if I'm right in saying this, but imo, since the portfolio is to show off your work, shouldn't it be a bit... easier to view? Straight to the point etc.?

I just think if it was simplified you'd be on to a winner.

... but take what am saying with a pinch of salt, i'm no web developer.

We do have a toggle on the bottom left of the portfolio overview to provide a 'quicker' way to view the work. The thought behind our existing presentation was to create a interactive experience that highlighted our clients sentiments for their experience working with us, as well as a highly visual overview for the project itself (beyond the thumbnail)

Perhaps to combat that usability issue we should add more prominence to this toggle so users looking to "cut to the chase" can?

In terms of the page being too busy, again, can you cite some specific areas where you believe things are too over the top? I appreciate the feedback, but specifics are much more helpful!

Keep it coming guys, I appreciate all the input I'm getting here.

gcol90 said:
Hey, I'm finding the site overly busy, like the other guys have said. And portfolio wise, I feel that you've over-done that, in the sense, it's an effort to find your work. i.e., quote, snippet of the project, quote, snippet etc. etc. I don't know if I'm right in saying this, but imo, since the portfolio is to show off your work, shouldn't it be a bit... easier to view? Straight to the point etc.?

I just think if it was simplified you'd be on to a winner.

... but take what am saying with a pinch of salt, i'm no web developer.

right time for more in depth answer as requested :)

OS - Windows 8 x64, browser is palemoon (firefox derivative).
I know css animations are quite light but not all browsers are as smooth as they should be (not to mention some don't support all of them)

Just notes as I see it so going to be bullet points so to speak (I'll skip the 'black home page') so might be a little blunt etc but I critique my own work like this as I find it's more efficient :)

The blue 'animation' and the animated 'click' background has issues when it pulses, blue background doesn't seem that smooth to me but not sure if it's the actual 'video' that's stuttering now I've looked at it again. I was also expecting 'something' at the end of the blue animation, not just a (I'm assuming) a neuron.

The animated text on scroll is actually slowing my browsing experience as I scroll down, I'm having to wait for it to 'load' - yes it looks 'pretty' but you only have a few seconds to 'impress' me (10-20seconds seems to be research average) - I've already watched the blue background expecting 'something' and didn't get anything.

Don't really see the point in the door choice...

Not keen on the 'hidden menu' under about - to me 'about' should only tell you about the company and it's staff.
I'm not sure careers should get such a 'high profile' menu placement and services should be separate in my opinion. I'm also kind of iffy on the choice of 'let's work together' instead of contact us.

about us page - much better, I can browse at 'my' pace, not one that's been pre determined.
the black speech bubble.... I was expecting a chat window not an email form.

team page - not sure I like all the portraits (no offence intended here), Crissy looks like she's petrified and both Jeff (I'm assuming you) and Norm seem like they've been chilling on some marijuana before the picture ...
Instagram section - any way you can make it scroll using the scroll wheel of a mouse or on hover or something, it just seems a bit out of place having the horizontal scroll (which would like nicer stylised to match the site rather than stock browser)

career page - bit long winded to find out if you've got 'opening's having to click on each section.

services page - I'm being made to wait on the text again, if you wan the animations maybe make it so they're 1 ahead of the reader ie 1 is already showing, 2 fades on scroll etc. I was often scrolling past the 'sliding in text' and having multiple loading at the same time
Do you need the 'our expertise' to slide in from the side.

work page - first time it didn't load properly for some reason, refresh fixed it.
wants to click on arrow keys image....nothing happens
scrolls down expecting to see 'portfolio work' and sees a quote and then another link slides in at bottom... follows link and finds no obvious way back to 'work page' other than using 'back' button which puts me at the top again - could do with a 'return to original slide' .
Scrolls down - finds I need to wait for the animated link at the bottom to load before going on to next slide - combined with the above lack of 'return button' could get annoying - not everyone will click on dots at side.

The little 'all work' button just seems lost, no idea what it does without clicking it and then it brings up a side menu. Might be better to have an alternative layout thats actually faster to view than the slideshow. I was getting fed up with having to wait until I was 'allowed' to go to the next slide - same issue as other bits, I want to be able to go at my pace not the pace you feel is right.

lets work together page - lots of form data is fine but I personally like to see all of the form questions so I don't risk repeating the same stuff in different boxes.

Side note - mobile menu - no idea what the enter email/submit is for without viewing desktop version.

Hey Levi,

Thank you for the input!

Home Page

For a little bit more insight on the home page... Our home page is more of an experiment then anything. We devised a message and wanted to convey it in a way that forced the user to read down the page. The blue neurons in the back are a video that runs on a loop. The video is supposed to visually reinforce the "Your Knowledge is a Weapon" sentiment. The delayed load in placed on each block of type are supposed to slow the reader down and have them read. The individual animations are supposed to guide the user into reading the message. When 'Click' appears, the frame has been completed.

We don't have enough data on this page yet to see if it was a failed experiment or not, but we are getting mixed reviews on it. We initially devised a more traditional landing page, but thought it would be interesting to try something new. I guess my question on that area is, are you following the message?

Work Page
After a bit of retooling with the team, we do believe we can push the usability for this page further. Initially, we had the testimonial first, and then the monitors second, what I believe we're ultimately going to do is adjust this web page so the testimonial and project appear on the same frame (the testimonial loading in last). We're also going to most likely re-do the "all work" functionality to display in traditional grid format rather then a slide out. We'll be able to get larger thumbnail displays as well as a quicker "THIS IS EVERYTHING WE GOT FOR NOW" view. Additionally the arrow keys displayed are actually for arrow key navigation, we added some hint type below the icon to better display that. You weren't the only one who ran into that problem, and I thank you for pointing it out.

About Hierarchy
One thing I'm going to have to disagree with you on is the about hierarchy. All of the items tucked under about give you a greater understanding of who our company is. If you look at some larger agencies (Us Two, Huge, etc.) they're making the push towards this way of thinking.

Use of animation throughout the site
I believe the route of the rest of your comments come down to the use of CSS animations to either delay, or animate certain items in. The goal was definitely not to hinder the user, so we'll need to do some more user testing on this. It seems as though the animations test more poorly with professionals in our industry, but impress potential clients. (At least according to feedback we've received thus far)

Thank you for taking the time to run through this top to bottom, and anyone else wanting to do the same feel free. We're not shy for criticism, we want increased exposure and feedback so we can continue to improve our platform.

Hi guys, it's a flashy site but style has definitely got in the way of substance and usability, as is often the way with Twitter Bootstrap projects and new coding possibilities.

I'm reminded of when they brought clip art into Microsoft Word and suddenly our school essays started to feature these vulgar light-bulbs and stick men. I think the moral of the story is, just because you can put something in, doesn't mean that you should.

The project pages themselves are fine but you need to make them more accessible. At present the site feels like something that that needs to me waded through.

On a more positive note, I really like the brand and the whole undertone of the site.

Taking feedback into consideration across the board, we made some key adjustments to our website.

1. Home page has been toned down with the use of an earlier iteration. It's more conversion focused / gets right to the gist of who we are.

2. We re-worked the UX a bit on the portfolio overview page. Key adjustments should make the experience a bit more 'obvious'

For those who saw the site prior, let me know what your thoughts are on these adjustments, for newcomers, feedback is always welcomed.

first page is better in my opinion, still has the same issue on the menu though in my opinion
work page is still making me go at the pace you want me to go at instead of the pace I want to go at. Still want to click on the arrows keys even with the text

Personally, I like the bold, superlative style of the site but the top animation and intro is not necessary.

I like the way you lay your portfolio so keep it to your strengths.

Back