Seeking advice on graphic design equipment.

ThBluPrince

I am seeking advice from anyone, especially graphic artists/designers that use multiple graphic design software, such as Adobe, Corel, Clip/Manga Studio Ex 5, & AutoDesk Sketch Pro. After researching and studying tutorials on all these programs, I'm thinking about using Adobe Illustrator CC, Manga Studio Ex 5 & Sketchbook Pro for the purpose of editing/enchancing old pen/pencil drawings, and creating new digital art, possibly for the web, t-shirt, poster print, large canvas, and comic book/graphic novel art. My frustration comes with lining all the system requirements up to a laptop or desktop. Lining up duo vs quad, gaming vs workstation graphic cards, SSD vs HDD vs Hybrid. Still not sure what computer have a Open GL 1.5 vs 2.0 vs 4x. Confusing. I have seen "numerous"tutorials using these multiple softwares on Apple MAC, some Windows PC, but there's no info on what "specific" kind of computer being used. So, I seek advice on what "specific" laptops or desktops would best support the most optimum use of multiple software programs, especially the group I mentioned. I had set a $1700 budget, but I'm a little flexible. Less would be great o course. I would appreciate any advice.

We're mostly based in UK so you'll have to hunt out equivalent $ items but you'll be fine with windows and quad core intel (i7), 16gb ram, 250GB+ SSD for OS, if desktop 120GB SSD for scratch disks (really makes a difference over a hard drive) + couple of 1TB hard drives for storage of assets and backups of work, these can be external or even a nas. You'll be fine with a mid range geforce or ati radeon with 6GB+ of vram so 1060 6gb or radeon rx480 sort of range, to be honest you'll likely be ok on the built in gpu on the intel cpu but I always prefer a pcie one where possible. IPS or equivalent tft displays because TN isn't very accurate and ideally you want one with a built in calibration file or a tool like a spyder 5 pro.

If you want to go mac, it's basically pick the best one you can afford as the upgrade route at a later date is much more limited.

Find some items you like the look of, post up here and we'll give feedback on them.

We're mostly based in UK so you'll have to hunt out equivalent $ items but you'll be fine with windows and quad core intel (i7), 16gb ram, 250GB+ SSD for OS, if desktop 120GB SSD for scratch disks (really makes a difference over a hard drive) + couple of 1TB hard drives for storage of assets and backups of work, these can be external or even a nas. You'll be fine with a mid range geforce or ati radeon with 6GB+ of vram so 1060 6gb or radeon rx480 sort of range, to be honest you'll likely be ok on the built in gpu on the intel cpu but I always prefer a pcie one where possible. IPS or equivalent tft displays because TN isn't very accurate and ideally you want one with a built in calibration file or a tool like a spyder 5 pro.

If you want to go mac, it's basically pick the best one you can afford as the upgrade route at a later date is much more limited.

Find some items you like the look of, post up here and we'll give feedback on them.
Thank you for responding. I've been drawing different styles of art since I was 5, but until now, never could afford graphic design software, nor had a computer that would support the one I want to use. I'm in the beginner phase of learning the language of graphic design and computers. Before I tell you what options for laptops I've been considering, I wanted to get a better understanding of what you wrote. I was with you until everything after "6GB+ of vram". Adobe [Ai] says Nvidia Geforce GTX & Quadro K & M series are supported by windows gpu performance features in [Ai], doesn't specifically mention vram req. Now Manga Studio Ex5[MS] & Sketchbook Pro[SBP] req. graphic cards w/ vram of 256MB or more. Not sure what nas,pcie, IPS, tft, & TN, are. Sorry, but I' learning more & more each day,"literally". I 've look at the specs on ASUS ROG GL502 Gamer Notebook & ASUS ROG G751JL-DS71, Dell XPS 15 9550 Non Touch 15.6 FHD, XOTIC MSI GE 72VR Apache Pro 010 and CUK MSI GE 72VR Apache VR Ready Laptop. I'm a bit confused as to whether its better to go with a gaming laptop w/ gaming graphic cards or something w/workstation graphic card which seem more difficult to find specs that would support the system requirements of [Ai], [MS] & [SBP].

Oh when I was younger, 17 yrs old, I played for a youth select Futbol Club in U.S. We traveled to the U.K for three weeks. Went to London, Liverpool FC, Manchester FC, Everton FC, and Bangor, Holyhead, and Caernarfon, Wales. Played seven games, got a lot of culture, a lot of beer, fish and chips, and brought some new football skills back to the U.S. Okay, thank you again for your feedback. Let me know what you think about those Laptops I listed.

ok - bullet pointing for ease :)

Geforce - gaming version of nvidia gpu range, the quadro is basically the same hardware multiplied in cost by 5 but given more support from nvidia and 'professional' software, basically it's what they aim at 'professionals'.... in the real world you'll be fine with geforce in all but a very few select instances of 3D software because most now use direct x on windows. Has propriety cuda and opencl support with better performance usually from cuda when software supports using the gpu for processing data (think things like after effects, 3d rendering). Personally I go for nvidia as the add on software I use in 3D (vray for example) currently has better performance when using cuda over opencl.

Radeon - ATI gaming gpu range, they used to have fire pro as their 'professional' but this has just be renamed to radeon pro, basically it's the same situation as nvidia in that it's the same general hardware just with better support from ATI and software venders. Again realistically you'd be fine with a radeon in the software you're listing. Only supports opencl for gpu processing.

VRAM - the amount of memory on your gpu, the reason I said get a 6GB or more card is more to do with future proofing than anything, if you start getting into using software that utilises opencl or cuda most only utilise the memory on the gpu and as such more is better. The 256MB is literally 1/24 of the amount I'm suggesting, you can go with less but the more the better in the general sense.

TFT - your monitor (assuming using a flat one like on a laptop)
IPS & TN are panel types used in tft displays, TN has worse colour accuracy than IPS (there are others like PVA too but IPS is pretty easy to find) but faster response rates so is more aimed at gaming, IPS is aimed at graphics etc due to their colour accuracy.

Most of the laptops you mentioned should be fine with running most of the software you mentioned, personally though I'd pick the dell when it eventually gets updated with a gtx 10xx gpu like on the xotic msi ge 72vr which uses a 1060 with 6GB vram.
You might also want to consider the microsoft surface (i5 with 8GB ram model or higher) due to it have the stylus etc, it won't be a gaming machine like the laptops but you'd be surprised how much more natural drawing with a stylus on a screen is versus a wacom tablet for example.

I'm also going to suggest you take a look at Krita, it's free and also mishief as alternatives you may not have considered for software :)

ok - bullet pointing for ease :)

Geforce - gaming version of nvidia gpu range, the quadro is basically the same hardware multiplied in cost by 5 but given more support from nvidia and 'professional' software, basically it's what they aim at 'professionals'.... in the real world you'll be fine with geforce in all but a very few select instances of 3D software because most now use direct x on windows. Has propriety cuda and opencl support with better performance usually from cuda when software supports using the gpu for processing data (think things like after effects, 3d rendering). Personally I go for nvidia as the add on software I use in 3D (vray for example) currently has better performance when using cuda over opencl.

Radeon - ATI gaming gpu range, they used to have fire pro as their 'professional' but this has just be renamed to radeon pro, basically it's the same situation as nvidia in that it's the same general hardware just with better support from ATI and software venders. Again realistically you'd be fine with a radeon in the software you're listing. Only supports opencl for gpu processing.

VRAM - the amount of memory on your gpu, the reason I said get a 6GB or more card is more to do with future proofing than anything, if you start getting into using software that utilises opencl or cuda most only utilise the memory on the gpu and as such more is better. The 256MB is literally 1/24 of the amount I'm suggesting, you can go with less but the more the better in the general sense.

TFT - your monitor (assuming using a flat one like on a laptop)
IPS & TN are panel types used in tft displays, TN has worse colour accuracy than IPS (there are others like PVA too but IPS is pretty easy to find) but faster response rates so is more aimed at gaming, IPS is aimed at graphics etc due to their colour accuracy.

Most of the laptops you mentioned should be fine with running most of the software you mentioned, personally though I'd pick the dell when it eventually gets updated with a gtx 10xx gpu like on the xotic msi ge 72vr which uses a 1060 with 6GB vram.
You might also want to consider the microsoft surface (i5 with 8GB ram model or higher) due to it have the stylus etc, it won't be a gaming machine like the laptops but you'd be surprised how much more natural drawing with a stylus on a screen is versus a wacom tablet for example.

I'm also going to suggest you take a look at Krita, it's free and also mishief as alternatives you may not have considered for software :)

Woow! All of this is fantastic! Thank you for breaking down each one of those. It actually does help me, tremendously, when it is explained like you've done. I'm actually enjoying learning more about the language and inner workings of computers, and graphic design software. I'm trying to absorb, process, and store as much information as possible, before I actually spend any money, so that I may enjoy the creative process of graphic design as much as possible. I have not researched Krita, but I will be looking at it today, along with the microsoft surface. Thank you again for all your advice, and taking the time to break it down for me, I really appreciate that. Have a great weekend!

Back