Securing a .com

scotty

Ultimate Member
I'm sure I've asked this before but I've slept since then so I'm afraid I'm going to ask again.

I want to purchase a bunch of .com's for a some ideas I have to secure them for the future.
A few I will end up setting up as functioning websites but others are just alternative names or ideas that I'll never end up using so I don't want to spend too much.

I've looked around and there are sites offering 99p .coms but I'm wondering, is there's a catch?

Will I have issues hosting my site elsewhere or have problems renewing them?
Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of and/or what is the best practice for doing this?

Sorry to sound naive but I am. ;)

It's normally an introductory offer, 99p for the first year, normally ~£6–10 afterwards, depends on who you go with. I can't imagine you'd have any problems renewing, you own the domain so it belongs to you. Domain registration sites are basically brokers, they register on your behalf and you pay them every year to renew. Not happy with them? Just pay to transfer to another company, it normally costs about the price of the domain each year to move one.

For me 123-reg has been faultless looking after my hundreds of domains, for parking and renewing domains they're great. I wouldn't host a site with them but changing the DNS settings to host elsewhere is a doddle and I have many domains set-up like this with no issues whatsoever. I don't expect they are the cheapest but sometimes I would rather pay that little bit extra.

Google offer domains for £10 including security so you don't get spammed by 3rd parties. I haven't used them though, I've stuck with 123-Reg because I have so many with them already :p

Just what I needed to know.

I didn't want to but a .com and then find out later I'd screwed up and was tied into something.
I've looked at 123 and they're pretty reasonable and I ALWAYS prefer to go on recommendation so thanks chaps!

I may check out Google too as the last one I registered I didn't pay for the security and still getting spammed to death.

You could always buy from somewhere cheaper then transfer over to 123 (if you can be bothered), it's free to transfer in sometimes. For hosting they are shit so I'm only recommending parking your domain with them.

Think I'll use 123 to park them them.

I've done LOADS of work on this clothing brand and not even got the .com yet.
Really must sort that as I've been bitten before like that. (DOH!) ;)

Back