Search Engine Optimisation

colinstables

I don't quite get it, I have done the following for my website Website Design Services

1. Used of Drupal Software
  2. WC3 Validated
  3. Used Search engine friendly Titles
  4. Used Titles with Keywords

5. Added Alt and Title tags
  6. Validated each page with Meta Tag Analyser
  7. Added Articles
  8. Added Link Partners

Can some one please help put me on the right track I’m pulling my hair out here I need to get to at least a GOOGLE page rank of 4 or above?

• :icon_confused:

getting ranked is no easy job and it doesnt work over night. ive just looked at ur description / keywords and they are not enough

<meta name="description" content="Web design and website design services at affordable prices!" />
<meta name="keywords" content="quotation, quote, web, Website Design Services - Help4Yo.com" />

first off website design and web keyword are REALLY REALLY hard to get found with, just remember that you will have MAJOR companies paying £££££££ per month to get onto page 1 for those keywords, try to widen your scope for eg. loose the "help4yo.com" and use more keywords reletive to your site eg. website design "yourarea" website services "yourarea" help4you help4u etc etc. also look at webamstertools and search your chosen keywords and it will tell you were you will stand.

This is nmy forte my friend. You need backlinks and traffic. Simple as that. Start posting on blogs, directories, pr sites, forums, websites. Anywhere you can get a link back to your site. For PR 4 you are gonna need alot of traffic. You may not need PR 4 though. Ive had times where Im lower PR then the competition and higher placed. Remember the most powerful thing is keywords in your domain name. Thats hard to beat. So if your competition has that your gonna struggle. Good luck.

This is nmy forte my friend. You need backlinks and traffic. Simple as that. Start posting on blogs, directories, pr sites, forums, websites. Anywhere you can get a link back to your site. For PR 4 you are gonna need alot of traffic. You may not need PR 4 though. Ive had times where Im lower PR then the competition and higher placed. Remember the most powerful thing is keywords in your domain name. Thats hard to beat. So if your competition has that your gonna struggle. Good luck.

PR is not very useful point to look at if you are referring to SERPs. You must build up quality and unique content and optimise your pages with meta tags, titles, keyword density, etc.

Why do you need PR4? Are you looking to do link exchanges? PR updates happen every few months so it might be time related. Instead of looking at PR look at traffic and conversions.

I don't quite get it, I have done the following for my website Website Design Services

1. Used of Drupal Software
  2. WC3 Validated
  3. Used Search engine friendly Titles
  4. Used Titles with Keywords
  5. Added Alt and Title tags
  6. Validated each page with Meta Tag Analyser
  7. Added Articles
  8. Added Link Partners

Can some one please help put me on the right track I’m pulling my hair out here I need to get to at least a GOOGLE page rank of 4 or above?

• :icon_confused:

First of all it is important to identify the right keywords. Once that is done, make sure that the web pages are perfectly optimized in accordance with them. You can start with acquiring authoritative backlinks for the keywords you are working on. This can be done through simple SEO strategies like article submissions, blogging, forum / community participation. Also, in order to acquire a good web presence it is important to connect with the people. This can be done through submitting informative posts that create value for people. Another important aspect is creating a social media presence. Establish a good network in the social media websites, this will prove beneficial for you.

If it's your forte you should know that getting backlinks "anywhere" is a terrible strategy, quality is so important now. Do not use directories or PR sites, most will worsen your page rank. Quality blog commenting, guest posts and forum posts are all fine for backlinks and will improve PR over time, taking easy shortcuts to get links worsens SEO, it's been like this for the best part of a year.

share all the stuff with social networking sites ..

And seeing as all the major social sites are "nofollow" this will be no use whatsoever to your PR.

In general yes Steve, but I have to disagree on a couple of points. Firstly, general directories are worthless but niche ones can be helpful. Find a directory based on your niche which looks well maintained and it's probably worth a backlink, even if you have to pay a small sum.

Secondly, although nofollow links won't help improve your PR score, you do need them. If Google sees you have only dofollow links it will see you are trying to game the rankings. These days you need a mix of do and no follow links.

Secondly, although nofollow links won't help improve your PR score, you do need them. If Google sees you have only dofollow links it will see you are trying to game the rankings. These days you need a mix of do and no follow links.

And, sharing on social sites is a more direct way of directing people to your website than Google anyway, so surely it's worth it on that alone?

Find a directory based on your niche which looks well maintained and it's probably worth a backlink, even if you have to pay a small sum.

Yikes! That's terrible advice. Quote from Google:

"The following are examples of link schemes which can negatively impact a site's ranking in search results:

Buying or selling links that pass PageRank. This includes exchanging money for links, or posts that contain links... "

Reference:
Link schemes - Webmaster Tools Help

You will also find Matt Cutts from Google saying that quality directories where the owners vet the listings before approving are worth it, so no, it's not terrible advice at all.

In general yes Steve, but I have to disagree on a couple of points. Firstly, general directories are worthless but niche ones can be helpful. Find a directory based on your niche which looks well maintained and it's probably worth a backlink, even if you have to pay a small sum.

Totally agree, the original poster said nothing about niche, quality etc. directories, he said post everywhere to any directories, really, directories should be seen as a place to build human traffic rather than great SEO resources I think, same with social networks for the moment at least.

I agree also to a balance of nofollow links, my point is sweating blood building a Facebook profile in itself will not benefit your SEO, if you want to build nofollow links there are much quicker ways to do it, you would have to spam the crap out of your social networks to balance a decent sized dofollow link building effort, however there are tons of forum posts kicking around the web saying social networks are great for SEO implying if you get 1000 Twitter followers you'll suddenly rocket up SERPS or something.

Also agree it is worth building social because it builds human traffic and it is pretty likely to be relevant to SEO in future, but right now it does not have any direct impact on SEO, it's good for Internet marketing but it's not at all immediately relevant to SEO or, as far as I know, PR. There are some marginal suggestions of large numbers of +1s or retweets boosting SERPS a little but they are fairly hefty numbers you have to get. All round, there are far more effective ways of doing SEO and building pagerank; like good on page optimisation and quality, time effective link building. People are always looking for shortcuts and someone's always ready to leap up and give out of date or undetailed advice.

You're right, I should have explained myself better, though lately I seem to spend 90% of my forums time in different places repeating myself endlessly that article spinning and spamming, press release spamming, unedited directory spamming etc. are not good SEO techniques, apologies!

You will also find Matt Cutts from Google saying that quality directories where the owners vet the listings before approving are worth it, so no, it's not terrible advice at all.

OK, apologies, I stand corrected.

I try to keep up-to-date with Matt Cutts' advice, could you provide a link to where he says this?

Thanks
Mike

Back