Scotty's New Website

scotty

Ultimate Member
'spose I'd better share, officially like.
www.iamscotty.com
1f44384b7968580cec775d25a849ab46.jpg

Lighthouse.jpg

SERVICES1.jpg

Shop.jpg

Love it. "He found early inspiration from vintage advertising mascots and surf and skateboarding graphics and combined his love for both design and illustration which gave birth to “Desillustration”. A term he made up using his own head."
I think the home page smashes it. Especially for illustration emphasis (or Desillustration, as you would say) - maybe some work needs to be done on some of the other pages in terms of text layout / contact form, if you see what I mean.

Excellent work Scotty and Jim! Scotty, I wouldn't want to be the one who has to park in that petrol station..!

Sean Lee-Amies said:
Excellent work Scotty and Jim! Scotty, I wouldn't want to be the one who has to park in that petrol station..!
I think that's what the rescue truck is for!
Really like your site Scotty, good work :thumbup1:

Brilliant Scotty!
Expect plenty of "Can you do one of those for our website? You want how much?!"

I split this out from the other topic as it's definitely worth a thread on it's own.

Love the new site Scotty. Did you code it all up yourself too?

Thanks chaps.
This is it's first outing ans still bits to do.
No Tony, a very patient WP dev did it for me. I don't know sh*t about that kind of things so I just stick to drawing stuff.

I love it, it's quite interesting and different!
The fonts for the link menu bother me a bit though, perhaps you could use something that is a little easier to read?

I agree, I also think that the "Jacsico" text is quite hard to read too. Also, the pavement under the news building needs fixing, on the right edge it looks flat, on the same level as the road! It's nice when you can only pick out such minor things with a design :)

Just quoting my previous post here, since it never made the trip across.
I need a new way to say "Nice work, Scotty" because it's getting repetitive.
The characters are really cool, fun and punchy. The isometric website is a stunning visual treat, although I was slightly disappointed when I realised the water pipe coming out the side wasn't actually a button for pressing... but that's just my click-first-think-later nature kicking in.
Then there was the whole Monkey v Technology thing, but I shan't bother repeating it.
So, yes. Appreciation officially restated for posterity. Or something.

.... noo... just testing a button that doesn't seem to work. It's on the side of your land-mass. ...which by itself sounds awkward.

Not going to judge the graphics side of things as we all know you're pretty poor at that side of things :p

Only real issues I have are below but they're more of things I'd fix than needs fixing if you get what I mean:
background being fixed, it would move with the island - this is just me being picky because I used to do a lot of isograph images before the pc came about lol
the lighthouse and dock not doing anything, I want to click it like the rest of the 'island'
the jacksico logo (maybe lose it and just have services)
the information 'i' logo, it just seems too big compared with the other logo's
couple of the 'building' links don't cover the entire plot

I'm really glad you shared this. I think it's refreshingly original and it's great to see this kind of stuff being without the use of Flash now.
The only trouble is that the home page is so good, it makes the other pages look a bit rubbish, even though in there own right they're not.
You need a favicon on it and also if you click one of the building you get a square appear round it. maybe...
:focus {
outline: 0;
}
would do it.

wac said:
I'm really glad you shared this. I think it's refreshingly original and it's great to see this kind of stuff being without the use of Flash now.
The only trouble is that the home page is so good, it makes the other pages look a bit rubbish, even though in there own right they're not.
You need a favicon on it and also if you click one of the building you get a square appear round it. maybe...
:focus {
outline: 0;
}
would do it.
I'm going to agree with the first part of this, and then disagree with the rest of your sentence.
Your home page is great (however I do believe you need to apply aspect ratio scaling to your image) the rest of the website falls short man. Your website needs to take that same creative, illustrative flair and bring it throughout each page of the website. Just doing 1 column (non-treated) type blocks is a bit of a cop-out.
Your services page is the only attempt at pushing this forward further, however it's not there yet. It still seems as though it's disjunct.
Overall, it's a great landing page, but lacks substance in it's inner pages. Keep pushing to include your illustrative skills throughout the website.

Kinda forgot about this thread so a nice surprise to see such constructive feedback.
Totally agree with what you all say.
The rest of the pages are a bit of a WIP as I was fed up with being off the grid and needed some presence out there.
I intend to bring the other content up to spec but to be honest I've been having a break from it to get a fresh perspective and as much as I like working in iso it can kinda mess wid ya mind box after a while. ;)
I went with the iso feel as I tend to work in so many styles that felt I needed to side step them and stick with one theme.
Many illustrators stick to just the one style as it's easy to market as the client knows what they're getting and it's easy for agents to sell but to be honest that would do my nut in and I'd rather return back to the assassin business.
Really appreciate all your comments and as I make changes I'll share.
Design Forums.........I salute you! :notworthy:

Sean Lee-Amies said:

If you need a hand I'll be in the shitter around the back of the kiosk.

scotty said:
Kinda forgot about this thread so a nice surprise to see such constructive feedback.
Totally agree with what you all say.
The rest of the pages are a bit of a WIP as I was fed up with being off the grid and needed some presence out there.
I intend to bring the other content up to spec but to be honest I've been having a break from it to get a fresh perspective and as much as I like working in iso it can kinda mess wid ya mind box after a while. ;)
I went with the iso feel as I tend to work in so many styles that felt I needed to side step them and stick with one theme.
Many illustrators stick to just the one style as it's easy to market as the client knows what they're getting and it's easy for agents to sell but to be honest that would do my nut in and I'd rather return back to the assassin business.
Really appreciate all your comments and as I make changes I'll share.
Design Forums.........I salute you! :notworthy:
Also, I'm not sure how strong you are with development skills, but parallex effects would be pretty kick-ass on the home page you've constructed. You can find more info by following this link.
http://wagerfield.github.io/parallax/

Back