Saving vector images in Illustrator for an online blog.

Johnish

Graphics designing is not my profession, however, I do know how to use Illustrator to create simple vector images/graphics. I do not have an idea as to what format or other attributes to consider when saving an image for web viewing. I've searched this forum for similar issues others might have faced, but fail to follow the designing jargons used.

The way I am trying to save the image for my blog is with the save for web option in Illustrator where I choose JPEG and give it a file name. I then import this image into the blog. SVG file formats are not supported when I try to import the,.

The images looks blurred, jagged and bad. It looks nothing as amazing as it does, native in Illustrator. I also notice the image dimension shrinks once I post it to the blog. How can I determine the right dimensions for the image? I do not own the blog, I'm just a guest blogger on their platform.

I generally prefer PNG format for crisp images over JPEG. It's best to export the image at the size it will be used at, or at 200% scale (for retina screens). If the image is to be shown at 600 pixels wide for example, then export yours at 1200 pixels wide so it looks crisp on retina devices.

If you private message me a link to the blog you're posting for I can have a look and see if I can determine the correct size to use. Or you can just ask the blog owner what size they prefer. Sometimes blogs drastically compress images to save space which can result in pixelation. You can use something like TinyPNG to upload your image and compress it beforehand without losing quality.

Back