Saving to EPS in Photoshop

mathmosman

Hello all - first post (for help at work, but looking forward to reading and contributing to this forum!).

I've created a file in Photoshop CS5. The image size is 14388 x 11027 pixels, and is intended as a piece of artwork that our suppliers can use to create outdoor signage for their business using our logo and some additional copy.

Thing is, when I Save As a Photoshop eps, the filesize comes out at over 400MB!

When Saving As, the only options I'm offered are:

Use Proof Setup
Embed Color Profile

and then:

Preview options - it shows "Macintosh (JPEG)"
Encoding options - it shows "ASCII85"
plus
Include Halftone Screen (not checked)
Include Transfor Function (not checked)
PostScript Color Management (not checked)
Include Vector Data (checked)
Image Interpolation (not checked)

It's the first time I've created an eps, so advice/help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

You should be creating EPS artwork for outdoor signage in Adobe Illustrator (not Photoshop).

Not only will the file size be much smaller but you'll also be able to scale vector to any size - Photoshop produces raster artwork which can't be scaled to any size.

yeah, I am aware that it should be Illustrator, but I'm not too familiar with that, and I was instructed to create in Photoshop.

That said, I had changed fonts type etc to object, so thought it could be resized as required - is that not the case?

After noting your reply, I did notice that I had many unrequired layers in the file, so I've deleted all of those and will re-save now, and see how it goes...

Hi,

The artwork will be perfectly fine created in Photoshop but you'll know for future, that EPS artwork should be created in Illustrator.

Rasterising/outlining the text in Photoshop just means that you don't need to supply fonts when sending the artwork to a printer. You still won't be able to resize the font to a larger size.

Right. Thanks for that! I certainly will know for the future.

Incidentally, though, when I'm looking at 9 layers - why do you think it comes out at 421MB?

It has nothing to do with the amount of layers you're using - it's because the document is 5m wide.

The added advantage of using Illustrator is that signage can be produced at 25% and then scaled up by the printer.

Ditto to the Illustrator or InDesign path.

If it's just for output, then flatten the Photoshop file and save as a medium/high quality JPG or PDF. The quality will still be good enough for output and the file size should be smaller.

Just stick the JPG on a CD along with the original Photoshop file and supply it that way.

I have a customer that came in with their external drive and asked me to copy their artwork on to my computer. It was 150GB of files mostly over 200MB in size!

:icon_rolleyes:

So the banner is 5m wide. But what resolution has the printer requested?
If the banner is set at actual size then I'd anticipate the resolution to be around 100dpi. What have you set your's at? If it's 300dpi then that may well be the contributor to large file size.
Or alternatively your artwork could be set up at quarter or half size, but at higher resolution. But this is usually a factor set by your printer. Check with them.

As others have said, saving as a JPEG and considering the compression value will trim this file size down considerably. I've yet to understand why Photoshop EPS are ever requested (standing by to be informed!)!

Back