Save the Date

davewill

Hi Everyone, you may have noticed my post in the Typography section asking for recommendations of script fonts. I thought it was about time I showed you what I was working on and got some feedback.
Im designing a Save the Date for a friend. They have given me a short brief. Their wedding is in May so they want a Spring like feel to it. The bride loves the idea of an illustrated card, she also wants herself and the groom to feature on the design. They have a very obvious size difference which Ive made reference to in the illustration. The bride to be also loves the idea of heart shapes balloons which she wants on there someone. She suggested including the date of the wedding on the balloons but Im not sure if I can get that to work.
Anyway, there are 4 options below. Im looking for feedback on the choice of fonts as well as any critique on the overall design and illustration of the invite.
p.s. cheers to whoever fixed the attachment uploading, saved me the effort of uploading to flickr and linking

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.35.05.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.35.05.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.52.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.52.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.27.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.27.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.04.png
    Screen Shot 2013-03-07 at 10.34.04.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 80
That's a fantastic illustration. Absolutely love it. As far as the font selections go, I like the 2nd one the most, closely followed by the 3rd. I don't think it needs to be scripty at all.
Seriously love the illustration though, it's great. How long has that taken?

Cheers Tony, that was probably an afternoons work. That kind of illustration is becoming more and more my "thing" lately and thankfully the bride and groom really like it so thats cool. Im not sure if the background needs more detail, although I do think it should be fairly minimalist overall.
Im also struggling to get the date to work inside the balloons without it looking like an after thought.

Looks great. I actually prefer either of the two scripts!
I would move the topmost centre heart to the left a bit to make the balloons more of a heart shape.
How about making the central pink balloon twice as big and put the date on there in white text?

Thanks Wardy, Ive tried increasing the size of 1 of the balloons but it looks a little odd, like its purposefully been increased to accommodate the date (which it has!). I also tried increasing 3 balloons to it splits the date across the 3 balloons... 24/may/2014 but that doesnt look natural either.

I think the 4th with script works best, serve its purpose. With the balloons it looks like they are floating with no string because you can see the valves maybe that's me being pedantic.
Also when you say the date in the balloons I can't see what you mean?

Thanks for the feedback Jordan. You make a good point about the balloons, ill add more strings to ensure they dont look like they are floating.
Apologies for not being clearer about the date in the balloons issue. At the moment the date isnt shown within any of the balloons, but that is something the bride wants me to try (see photo attached as an example) However, when I have attempted it I cant get it to look 'right'.
If i add all of the info into one balloon like the example attached then the text looks too small. If I increase 1 balloon so the text can be bigger then that balloon sticks out like a sore thumb. Ive also tried splitting the day, month and year across 3 balloons but that doesnt look right either.
personalised-pink-save-the-date-balloons_3.jpg

ohh right I was looking at the balloons thinking you had done a optical illusions making the date out colours in the balloons that I couldn't see :)
Looking good though Dave, as Wardy said making the whole balloon image into a heart would look nice.
Just did a quick mock up
xmrgh5.png

Thanks for that, looks good, Ill offer that as an alternative.
Im still stuck on the whole date thing though! I may suggest just keeping the date at the base in yellow and then not showing it in the balloons. I would like to try and crack it though, even if I just show it as an option which doesnt get used! I dont want to be defeated!!!

I know what you mean Dave! I hate admitting defeat. Keep at it sure you will work it out. : )

Looks good Dave! Why don't you just fit one number of the date onto a separate balloon? i.e. 12/5/13

first and second ones for me....
as to the larger balloon issue, how about adding a couple more larger ones into the bunch so it's not just a one off balloon that's bigger, it should make the 'date' one stand out less.

I would try each letter and number on a separate balloon, maybe with 24 on the big one.
Also, is it me, the bride looks great, but the groom looks like he's got a sleeveless jacket and no strides. I know it's stylised, but...?

Good point Wardy, Ill take a look at that, maybe add some definition to the arms and include some cuffs so there is a width difference between the sleeve and the hand.
p.s. what are strides?

Interesting idea Tony, I did give it a go, attempting to make balloon shaped numbers like the ones you can buy in Clintons, but my clumsy fingers made it look awkward!

Hi guys, quick update on the Save the Date ( I often refer to it as STD when saving files, but that's something else all together!)
Ive tried to add a little more interest to the base of the card, it was looking a little bare. The bride loves the scrpit font so Im sticking with that but trying to modernise it with the use of a sans serif for the date and other little bits.
Ive also tidied up the illustration of the groom, he was a little clunky and Ive made the bride a little smaller to be more acurate to real life! Finally Ive added a subtle gradient to the yellow bsckground to give it some depth, going from dark down to a lighter shade of yellow at the base.
Any thoughts or comments guys and girls?

landl.png

p.s. uploader wouldn't let me attach files so had to use imageshack for a preview

Right then guys and girls, Im back for more feedback!
After showing the bride (& groom of course) the design above they asked if I could try it with an aqua/turquoise background. Both designs have a white border around the image. So...
Ive now played around with the layout a little and I have ended up with 2 alternatives. (Im not sure about the clouds, but they are on there for now). The first option is an A6 card, the second is 1/3 A4. Id love some feedback and if you have a preference between the 2 please let me know what it is and why.
Cheers all!
8694736419_2a8193b0bf_z.jpg

8695857342_e260e227b3_z.jpg

This is fantastic.

The 1/3 A4 design seems to work better with the design.
You've made the script font work well, but I would still be tempted by the nice sans-serif in the 2nd original design.

Colourwise, it might be nice to see a thin banner of red/pink (from the baloons) behind the 'formal invitation to follow' to tie it together. Just a thought.

I like the difference in height between groom and bride but I think it's confusing that you can see his feet, as the bride's dress flows nicely off the page.

Altogether lovely though, I'm just forcing some comments out.

J

Back