Save the Date Card

davewill

Hi guys, need some feedback on this piece of personal work.

The idea is to send a "Save the Date" card to all of my wedding guests to make sure they keep the 3rd Dec 2011 free. Because the wedding is in the winter I have experimented with the idea of an advent calendar themed card. I just cant get happy with the colours. I dont want to go all green an red on it as it would look "too" christmassy and the theme is more of a Winter one than it is Christmas.

Maybe im confusing the two ideas (wedding and christmas) which is why I cant get it to work but I would appreciate some feedback, mainly on the colours and style.

The first image shows the front of the card (only the centre square number 3 will be perforated so the recipient can open it) Once they do open the door they will see the "save the date" message which is the second pic shown here.

Attachments

• Save the Date 1 copy (S).jpg
    Save the Date 1 copy (S).jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Save the Date 1open (S).jpg
    Save the Date 1open (S).jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 52
maybe change the festive images to more wedding associated images, the colour isn't really saying wedding in my view either.

At the present minute there's no 'wedding' orientation to the card

I would have to agree too, I think you've put design infront of communication.
The design proposition is about 3rd Dec Wedding.
Like the design as a whole though.

It looks great, but it is too close to an advent calendar. I really like it Dave, but if your priority is as Berry said is about your wedding, maybe rejig.

Most advent calendar's have a massive door for christmas eve/day, so could it be rejigged with the full date on their? 30/11/11 that way you can focus it more on the big day.

Just a thought.

As Levi, Berry and Michael have said, think more wedding than Christmas, definitely like the concept and connection though.

Perhaps consider more whites/blues/silvers, that could potentially make more of a connection to the Wedding and winter colours? Depending on the wedding colour scheme of course. Also might be worth thinking ahead, how can this theme tie in with the invitations?

Hope that helps, and definitely stick with the concept :)
Greg

Thanks for the feedback guys. After consulting the other half (aka the boss) for her thoughts Im currently working on version 2. I agree with u all that it looks too christmassy at the moment and not weddingy enough. The colour scheme greg will be purple but I tried that as a background colour and it looked too dark. Im planning on replacing some of the more christmas related images with wedding images such as wedding dress/shoes/suits/top hat/cake/balloons etc and see how that looks.

I also noticed Ive used 25 doors when most advent calendars obviously show 24 so Im going to amend that!

Ill repost the next version when I reach a stopping point.
Thanks again for your comments guys, I really do appreciate your input!

haha, good shout that. I noticed this year how poorly designed advent calendars are. Considering the companies have 12 months to design one, it looks like a 'night before' job on most calendars, they just stick a character on the front and a big logo and that'll do. Only thorntons comes close to something I would consider displaying in my house but why arent there any beautifully illustrated, fun, christmassy designs available?

Because their target market is kids who want to see a big character on the front?
Advent Calendars for designers, there's a niche market, an illustrators version, a simple typography version, a different typeface for each number? :D then it reveals the type name on opening the door?

Hi guys, just thought id update everyone on the progress of the save the date cards Im working on for my wedding.
We scrapped the idea of an advent calendar in the end, I liked the concept but it sent out mixed signals. It needed to be winter wedding themed but the advent calendar just screamed christmas which missed the point.

Instead Ive settled on more of an illustrated, quirky winter themed card which you can see below. I need to get it printed now to post out, im thinking it will be slightly smaller than A5. The theme is winter wonderland so Ive aimed for winter imagery but not necessarily christmas.

I really want it to have a quality finish rather than just be printed on to glossy paper so I would welcome all suggestions on how I could achieve this! Im thinking of different stocks, maybe embossing etc depending on price but Id really appreciate anyone elses thoughts!

Attachments

• STD.jpg
    STD.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi Dave the advent theme was more xmas then wedding. you could still have the advent theme but push it more to the wedding side. like instead of the xmas imagery. use like the horse shoe, wedding bells. or have a single snow flake with the centre perforated to reveal the date.

I also like ur latest one the wintery scene works well as it shows an xmas feel but isnt in your face with it. ifyou know what i mean.

Thanks Mick, Im definitely sticking with the latest version, I just cant decide if it needs anything else and how the final piece should be printed to make it extra special.

I'd say the date needs to be a bit more prominent, and also the words 'are getting married' (especially the a in are) is nastily close / touching the edge of the tree. I know you will already know this it just sits uncomfortably with me.

Thanks for the feedback guys, im currently in talks with my usual printer about the options I have when it comes to finishing.

Sam, you are correct on the 'are getting married' text, it is intentional to break out of the tree trunk but maybe its not working, ill take a second look.

Coolio! You thinking a Matt lam with a spot uv on the white bits? I think that would look bit tasty!

Or make the blue a metallic pantone then perhaps a Matt lam? I really like that look it's kind of understated it's like the page is saying 'hey look in an expensive spot colour, covered by something ever so slightly dulling me, however my power still shines through'

thanks for all your feedback guys, just thought id do a quick update. I made some tweaks to the design shown earlier in the thread and was happy with how it was turning out, but it turns out the client (aka my fiancee) wasnt 100% happy with it.

After a bit of a brainstorm session to define what exactly it was that we wanted we settled on 3 keywords. Classic, elegant and clean. I went back to the drawing board!

Ive been playing around with type in an effort to create a typographic card that is simple and clean. The idea is to send out a save the date card now and then later on in the year this will be followed by an invitiation that would include RSVP card, directions to the venue etc. All of the printed bits on the day itself (i.e seating plan, table numbers, place names) would then follow this style.

Ive used a combination of Garamond for the names and a free font called Fling for the ampersand as I really like its interesting shape. The colour palette for the day is midnight blue, silver and white (as it is a winter wedding) so the printed invites need to reflect this.

As everyone knows, designing for yourself is very difficult so I would appreciate anyones thoughts on what Ive done so far.

Attachments

• Picture 8.jpg
    Picture 8.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Picture 10.jpg
    Picture 10.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Picture 11.jpg
    Picture 11.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6
yeh sorry i know Chris, im just trying to get happy with the typography before I take it further. Elegant isnt normally my style so i struggle to combine classic fonts as i fear it will look cheesy and dated.

Back