Save the Date Card

Right guys, im soldiering on with these Save the Date cards, I just cant get happy with them! Ive attached 3 options Im working on. The theme is winter (not to be confused with Christmas) as we are getting married in December.

I want it to be illustrative, 2 or 3 colour but I cant get happy with the typography! I think ive hit the wall! I also cant decide how to lay the thing out, or what illustrative elements to add (robins, snow, trees). I think Ive also made the mistake of using typefaces I like at the moment rather than ones that are suitable for the job!

All I do know is that the 2 colours need to be the deep navy blue shown and white.

Basically, Ive been staring at it for so long I need some fresh eyes on it.
Any help or suggestions would be great!

Attachments

• Picture 42.jpg
    Picture 42.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 9
  • STD.jpg
    STD.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 9
  • STDv2.jpg
    STDv2.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 9
Liking the 2nd one (Reklame script?). although the 'are getting married' and date text seems a little too tightly kerned? could just be me though.

The 'on' also looks a little off. I guess it's centred on the whole element, rather than vertically centring the text?

Very cute though :)

It's an unorthodox approach than the normal wedding stationery aesthetic! Not to say that that is a bad thing... Looks a little like a voucher to me though, mainly because of the shape and size. Have you considered inverting it and using more white space with abstract dark blue elements?

Becky: Your right, it is Reklame script! I wanted something quirky, hand drawn(ish) and scripty, but nothing formal or traditional. the text might be too tight, I love tight text but sometimes I go too far! The on is from a different typeface called brothers, I love the style of it but Im not sure if it fits in with everything else.

Chris: I dont mind it being unorthodox, we are getting married here which isnt your usual venue I guess either! I did think of inverting it, havent given it a try yet but will give it a go. I just cant get happy with all of the elements or the type. I dont want it to look like a voucher so I am open to any format suggestions you may have!

You're getting married on the Design Forums?!?!

To be honest, I don't mind the bog standard a5 portrait, maybe a little round corner if it adds to it.

yeh we like it, we love the fact its different. hopefully its gona look awesome when its decked in Christmas lights and a tree!
Here is a very quick sample of how the 'Save the Date' card could look reversed out with a white background.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• STDv3.jpg
    STDv3.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 8
I think that may look better stacked on top of each other ie:
AMY
and
Dave

Are getting married
and blardy blar
blar!

Have the birds above it. You could also create a line pattern out of little birds feet that hint at prints left in the snow etc...

Thanks Chris, this is really useful feedback. I did have a go at little footprints earlier but I gave up quick coz I was frustrated I couldnt get happy with the overall design. Its a nice touch tho so I will give it another try! What do you think about the font?

I think the font you've used will suit the 'stacked' effect nicely with a strong old school letterpress aesthetic. I would always recommend getting them letterpress printed!! (just because I love it!!)

I'll comment more on the typeface when you've used it in your new designs (if you're doing them). Don't get too hung up on the 'and' with the lines though if you can't get it to work, as it doesn't really work in some of them (maybe just needs better placement)

Edit** Scrap the 'and' bit, initially it was aimed at the 'on', but in retrospect, it's not too bad now! haha

Thanks Chris, just had a quick go at a new option based on your suggestions. The format has changed to a weird rectangle kinda shape but that was just for now to make the idea work. I have no real preference over the final format.

p.s Id love to get it letterpressed but I cant find anywhere that will do such a small batch for a decent price!

Attachments

• STDv4.jpg
    STDv4.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 14
I think you're definitely on the right track. Bare in mind how you will apply the same theme to your formal invites. The foot prints are a little too faint I feel and you could do something soppy with them like carry them on and make a 'love heart' track out of them (oh I'm so romantic!)...

Liking it so far Dave. I'd be tempted to nudge all the text down the tiniest smidge though.

Hi Dave,

Like the overall theme and direction you're taking, if you can't find a suitable letterpress printers have you considered a subtle spot UV on your snowflake elements in the background, might be a nice touch? As for the type/layout, have you looked at other ampersands outside of the selected typefaces? you tend to see some quite decorative/flamboyant ones used in wedding stationery.

Thanks guys, great comments. I'll be working on it again in the morning. Nice suggestion Greg about the spot uv, I'll get a quote on it, I would like something "extra" to take it to the next level. I have looked at a few ampersands, I'll need to keep looking as my fiancee isn't keep on the AND or the OR typeface. I don't want something too scripty though but at the same time I don't think a sans serif would work with the reklame script font.

Update: Made quite a few tweaks to the previous version.

- Changed the 'and' to an ampersand (Clifford-NineItalic) and got rid of the 'on' all together.
- Also added feet to the birds (they cant have footprints if they dont have feet!)
- Put some space in the kerning of 'are getting married' and the date
- Played around with the layout of the snowflakes top and bottom
- Added very subtle grey trees in the distance behind the birds
- Added 3 navy blue snowflakes to separate the date from the rest of the text instead of using the two horizontal lines

Thoughts? Suggestions? Critique?

Attachments

• STDv4-2.jpg
    STDv4-2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 11
so very cute!

It looks a lot tidier, not that it didn't look tidy before, but something just seems a bit more formal about it.

I think the change of the orientation definitely lends itself more to the occasion.

Only thing that slightly bugs me, is the footprints (not that birds have feet per se), I get that they're 'rounded' around the text, but they just seem a bit unbalanced

Thanks for the feedback Becky. I did try to space the footprints vertically up the card in a straight line to begin with but it looked wrong. Ive tried to curve them so it gives the card a little bit of depth but maybe there is a way I could execute that better?
Ive used a bit of artistic license because if the footprints were placed directly behind each bird you wouldn't really see them as they would bleed off the page. I think its getting there though, the feedback has been really useful to help me get focused.

As for a spot UV, I would love to do that but my printer (who I use often and have a good rapport with) has quote me an additional £160 if I want to add a spot UV. The original quote for 100 single sided cards is about £120ish so the spot UV would more than double the cost. It might be worth doing for the actual invites, but these cards are just Save the Dates so seems a lot to spend! The printer has suggested laminating one side of the card for an extra £60 but I think I prefer more of a natural matt finish, im not a massive fan of shiny, glossy finishes.

If anyone knows of any more cost effective special printing effects that would give it a nice finish then please let me know, im open to any suggestions!

Back