Safari 4 Beta

pjohnstone

Anyone tried it yet?

I am really impressed. Its fast and very easy to use.

The history search is excellent.

Looks like Apple are going to take a large chunk of the browser market with this one.

I absolutely love it! For me, a browser should manage to be both beautiful and invisible, and this manages it! The top tabs also makes it the smallest browser yet! Some small irks about it though:

1)When you closes Safari, then open it, your open tabs are lost
2)Adblock is still missing
3)Some bugs like that clicking a tab have a tendency of moving the window instead of selecting the correct tab.

But again, it's only the beta. I switched from FF to this now, and loving it! Heard alot of Windows-users complaining that it looks more windows now though, haha!

won't import my firefox bookmarks... so i hate it lol

but i love the interface, getting used to the tabs on the top is pretty different, but it's got a beautiful intro when you start a new tab.

tim-ater said:
won't import my firefox bookmarks... so i hate it lol

but i love the interface, getting used to the tabs on the top is pretty different, but it's got a beautiful intro when you start a new tab.

imported my firefox bookmarks like a dream. Are you on mac or PC?

My Safari decided to go the Big Browser in the Sky today, and refuses to open for whatever reason.
Must be a Mid-Life Browers thing. I'm using Firefox and i hate it.

You hate Firefox? Woh, that's strange, I've never heard a designer or developer hate Firefox.

tim-ater said:
You hate Firefox? Woh, that's strange, I've never heard a designer or developer hate Firefox.

Don't be too upset Tom.

I guess i miss my safari.......

I like it... it's just I don't like the side scroll bar with Vista. But, I like the transparency.

If they combine this with Firefox's addons...

I don't particularly like firefox either ... i dislike the way it runs. But thats just me... I dislike M$ IE more though LOL Safari or Chrome all the way :D

Here's my initial thoughts;

The top sites feature will come in really handy, but I'd prefer to be able to choose what sites I have in there myself rather than it tell me.

May just be a glitch as it's only the Beta version but the new tabs feature has got stuck a couple of times and won't tab unless you close the top tab.

Cover flow for bookmarks & History is a great way to navigate back, it works surprisingly well with only a few pages not displaying.

Anyone know if they are any future plans to develop cover flow for web searches?

I can try to ask my mate over at Apple HQ if they know anything... i'll see what i can find out :secretsquirrel:

I can't get it installed :sad:
I've always been using Firefox but it's been crashing a lot lately... maybe I have too many addons

And what difference does it make if tabs are at the top or not? They take in the same space either way :blink:

I absolutely love the browser however have one problem with it. My hotmail inbox doesnt work - I cannot use the buttons or links on my inbox page once in it so have to use firefox at the moment for my hotmail account.

Anyone else have this problem?

Onartis said:
And what difference does it make if tabs are at the top or not? They take in the same space either way :blink:

Nope, because normally you would have a title-line at the top, but that has been exchanged for the tabs.

I've just downloaded it and I do like the new interface it is a lot better, I always thought that that was a the worst part of Safari, the text rendering has as well got a lot sharper as well and the drop down menus now look a lot more proffessional in-line with the other browsers. This is a big improvement IMO.

Not enough to steal Firefox4's improvements IMO though as they will be more business oriented, and a new concept for the interface I think but I could be wrong on that 1, that said this is pretty good and I do like it, and I may start using it more often now.

philjohns said:
I absolutely love the browser however have one problem with it. My hotmail inbox doesnt work - I cannot use the buttons or links on my inbox page once in it so have to use firefox at the moment for my hotmail account.

Anyone else have this problem?

I have had exactly the same problem, I have actually switched to firefox because of this!

dammit, against everything i said before, but im gonna switch now, it's beautiful!

Back