Russian font used in the 1920s?

Marioo

Hi! Can you help me? I am designing book, which was originally written in Russian. There is some latin alphabets also.
Now whole book is going to be in latin alphabets. Can you help me: what could have been a font that was used in Russian in the 1920s?
Is Garamond one possibility?

Sounds like a school subject.

Garamond died mid 16th Century. His equipement would have been sold off after his death in 1561. But probably still held in France or surrounding areas. The likelihood of his typeface being used in Russia 350 years later... unlikely.

There was a revival era around the 1920s, but doubt it made it to Russia in it's original format. Considering the Russian alphabet is cyrilic and has 33 characters instead of the French 26 letter alphabet as latin (and five diacritics) - so it's possible Garamond was bastardised in Russia for the additional lettering and also converted to cyrilic by a type designer there in the 1920s...

To answer your question - I don't know, but I doubt it.

If the school thing came across badly, apologies, maybe I just need more coffee, but it did come across as a question you'd get asked during college work to research.

I researched similar topics back in the day.

Thank you for your apologies, normally do not visit forums, but I saw a sentence "Graphic Design Forums: A friendly forum for designers".
It may be that my question is not professional, but I have the real problem.
I live in a small country, in a small language area. It is not easy to find information.

Defo, jumped the gun a bit. But we do get a lot of students looking for copy and paste answers.

Just wanted to clarify your position a bit more. As a friendly bunch, we encourage students to research their own homework/college courses first, then post their findings and asking for additional info.

I'm in the printing trade over 20 years, and I did my own research back in the day - books were my only research option (there was no internet!)

Anyway - did any of my answer help you at all?

Thank you! When I was studying, there were not many books available :), it may be difficult to understand when not living in a small country.

Garamond history did help, but I still have to find font. I can only find information on the Internet about 1920 Russian graphic design, spectacular sans serif fonts, but the information about the body text seems impossible to find. :(

I'm a little unsure of what you're asking for.

Do you just need a serif font that has Russian and Latin characters?

Or do you need to find a specific font from a book that was first published in Russia in the 1920s?

serif font in latin characters,

Book was orginally made with cyrillic alphabets and now is going to be in latin characters. In orginally there was also some words in latin characters and I can find a font that looks the same, but it would be great to have font which could have been possible to use in Russia in 1920.

Thank you! Here is the picture.
Cyrillic lettering looks rather characterful, I think it can be that latin characters are something else.

IMG_0747.jpg

Back