Royal Mint public competition for 2012 Olympics

Dave1975

The Royal Mint is launching a competition, open to all members of the public, to design a new 50p piece that celebrates the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games.

The competition is open to all UK residents aged 13 or over, who will deliver 27 of the 29 final designs. BBC TV show Blue Peter is also launching a children’s competition for 6- to 12-year-olds to create a coin for athletics, and a coin for cycling will be chosen from secondary school entrants aged 13-19. (29 sports in total, one goes out to the Blue Peter competition, another to the secondary schools competition and the remaining 27 are going out to the general public)

Winners will see their design on the backs of 50p pieces used nationwide, and will also receive a prize of £1000.

Entrants will be judged on the originality and creativity of their design, in addition to how well the design represents the sport and how the design will work on the coin. The judging panel will be made up of independent experts, and representatives of the Royal Mint, London 2012 and the International Olympic Committee.

Applicants must submit their design by 24 April.
Visit www.royalmintcompetition.co.uk for more information.

There's also a video about the competition on the site linked above and direct on YouTube: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1BUtEQz-QCg

I'm thinking of entering for the basketball one :)
Anyone else going to have a go at this?

Imagine winning, wouldn't it be great to say you designed a coin that's in circulation!

What they fail to mention is that the winner will be paid the £1,000 prize money in 50p coins....

Interesting question, blog post and discussion Gareth, I personally think it is fair, as from what I've seen of the competition (watching the videos a few days ago) it's the idea & inspiration that they're looking for, so in my mind that's a pretty level playing field. Clearly whilst design professionals have more experience in generating ideas for new designs, I don't see this as a clear advantage. I guess we'll only really know for sure when the winners are chosen!

Back