Rough logo & website design

lolage

Hey, I'm in the proccess of starting a web/graphics company. I've designed a logo and template today. Any opinions on this? Any feedback would be greatly appriciated - good or bad! :D

logo:
logo.png

website template: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11365869/template.png

I'm no expert, but as a general viewer, I'd say it looks jumbled and unbalanced. The items coming out of the box would be unrecognisable at small sizes (and you will use the logo at small sizes at some point), the mixing of the serif and sans-serif fonts feels jarring, everything feels a little off-centre visually even tho it might be technically centred, and in general as a logo there just seems to be a lot more going on than there needs to be.

From the Book of Berry: K.I.S.S. - "Keep It Simple, Stupid"

I would lose the cardboard box, and the subtitle, and just keep KFORDmedia and work more from there.

jim's got it in one. generally first thought is that the image should be the main focus of this logo, so make the text align to the edges of the image. For a logo you can also loose the descriptive text under the name, makes it too complicated, like Jim said "K.I.S.S", and again too agree with Jim, that mixture of fonts is not a great look.

Logo:

Not for me.

Looks like you've gone mad on clipart for ten minutes. If you're claiming print design is one of your key areas then its not coming through with that.

Start again - see what your competition has - make yours better, make it simple, make it stylish make it beautiful, make it printable.

Think it first. Sketch it second. Artwork it.

As hard as it was taking feedback like that after falling in love with it - it has actually made me see it in a different light and can see all the points made.

I will however be using my icons maybe as little pics next to the services I offer.

Heres my logo as of now, again any feedback - good or bad is appriciated.

logo1.png

I think you need to adjust the tracking between the letters so they are equal. The 'K' looks too close to the 'F' and 'e' to the 'd'. Apart from that I think it a nice simple logo. :) My 2cents anyways.

Mr Crowe makes a good point about the uneven letter spacing, when using any font it's wise to try and adjust any spacing faults it may have. But as far as the look is concerned I can't say I like this one any more... in fact I like it less. Yes, it's simple - but it communicates bugger all. Hell given the option I'd take the original. I see what you've done, taken it back to basics, which I would have advised, but it seems too... I dunno what the word is... derivative? Basic? Generic? I'll go with generic.

Needs more personality

I know things might seem harsh in terms of feedback on this forum but that's the best and quickest way to improve your skills, get torn apart. If everyone said "oh it's lovely" then that'd do you no good unless it was true. Most of the people on this forum are professionals in their field and are well in touch with current trends and standards, once you get to a point where they say "it's good" you know you're on to a winner. Before that point, I advise you to take every negative word as someone honestly being willing to take the time to analyse your work and help you take it further. If you take negative feedback personally, you're in the wrong job. Even negative feedback is a good thing, it's when no-one even wants to comment that you should really worry.

Matthew Crowe said:
I think you need to adjust the tracking between the letters so they are equal. The 'K' looks too close to the 'F' and 'e' to the 'd'. Apart from that I think it a nice simple logo. :) My 2cents anyways.

Thanks for spotting that! Although the K and the F were kind of intentional - but I took your advise and it did make it look better.

Jimlad said:
Mr Crowe makes a good point about the uneven letter spacing, when using any font it's wise to try and adjust any spacing faults it may have. But as far as the look is concerned I can't say I like this one any more... in fact I like it less. Yes, it's simple - but it communicates bugger all. Hell given the option I'd take the original. I see what you've done, taken it back to basics, which I would have advised, but it seems too... I dunno what the word is... derivative? Basic? Generic? I'll go with generic.

Needs more personality

I know things might seem harsh in terms of feedback on this forum but that's the best and quickest way to improve your skills, get torn apart. If everyone said "oh it's lovely" then that'd do you no good unless it was true. Most of the people on this forum are professionals in their field and are well in touch with current trends and standards, once you get to a point where they say "it's good" you know you're on to a winner. Before that point, I advise you to take every negative word as someone honestly being willing to take the time to analyse your work and help you take it further. If you take negative feedback personally, you're in the wrong job. Even negative feedback is a good thing, it's when no-one even wants to comment that you should really worry.

Not a problem, I'd rather it be like that than people sayings its good despite them seeing where improvements can be made.

I will get there soon, I'll just keep practising. :)

Back