Responsive...

mrp2049

So...since I last really dropped by here I've accidentally become a front end web developer...

I'm curious who has gone down the responsive path and how you are doing it?

When it comes to wordpress sites, I tend to find a responsive theme I like the look off and re-style it.

I've built something on concrete5 and bootstrap that I am waiting to go live, and I really like how bootstrap works, I just need to go through it and remove what I don't need and keep what I do!

Thoughts on HTML5 boilerplate?

I will admit to using jquery mobile to making a full site as well. That just plain made my head hurt.

Mate, jQuery is an amazing thing eh… but boy are you right that it's a total headache!

BTW Get a gander at this http://www.initializr.com

Thats not a bad little tool!

jQuery isn't too much of a headache once you get used to the syntax. jQuery Mobile is a new level of pain!

Anyone doing Pixel Perfect sites now is doing it wrong in my opinion. However, not every job needs to be responsive.

IMO doing responsive using CSS is the way forward. It keeps everything nice and light weight. I would never introduce JS to create a responsive site unless it was really required. I would always use JS in the progressive enhancement stages if it was needed.

However, I find both to be quite bloated, and prefer just to build from scratch, job depending of course.

There is no escaping there is a fair amount of wasted code in bootstrap. If you don't use it 'out of the box' the menu/header alone is a giant mess! I've done my own as well, and some of the percentage stuff is a little easier to manage using the frameworks.

Anyone doing Pixel Perfect sites now is doing it wrong in my opinion. However, not every job needs to be responsive.

IMO doing responsive using CSS is the way forward. It keeps everything nice and light weight. I would never introduce JS to create a responsive site unless it was really required. I would always use JS in the progressive enhancement stages if it was needed.

I've written a blog about it that is still waiting to go live, and I can't wait to see the response. I have done things that are pixel perfect, but that was to do with backwards compatibility and was a no win situation, got to love civil servants who are only just using IE7...

Back