Resources for beginners? Looking.

lemongrabfan3

people have probably asked this before, sorry haha.

but, what are some of your favorite resources (youtube links, websites, articles, etc) to show to someone just now getting into graphic design?

start a discussion below!

On the learning of software and app's then Lynda.com is a very good place to start and I think you can still get a month free so if you plan a little ahead you could cram a lot into that month.
After that I think it's only $25 per month so not bad and you can cancel at any time.

Once you've got the software basics then YouTube is a great resource for finding out the more in-depth things you need to do.
There are sites dedicated to learning these app's but the vid's are generally hosted on YouTube or Vimeo anyway and can lead you back to the site to find more.

I know it sound obvious, butI think it's best to cover the basics first as when you need to do and learn something a little more complex then you need to have that knowledge to search out a tutorial.

There have been many times I've wanted to do something specific but didn't know the term to use to find it.

Lynda is great, and I don't know if this is everywhere (I'm from the US), but depending on the library you can use your library card at Lynda and use it for free!

I also use YouTube and follow a lot of Graphic Designers on Instagram where a lot of them share details of their clients and the concept before revealing the design. Freelancers with a large following tend to do this more. This is great for inspiration. I also check agency galleries for inspiration, such as Repeat Logo. They have a huge catalogue of logos you can browse through.

I also use YouTube and follow a lot of Graphic Designers on Instagram where a lot of them share details of their clients and the concept before revealing the design. Freelancers with a large following tend to do this more. This is great for inspiration. I also check agency galleries for inspiration, such as Repeat Logo. They have a huge catalogue of logos you can browse through.
Do be careful with YouTube-- it's easy to end up following other people's bad habits and mistakes. Most people on YT have no idea what they're doing even if they pretend like they do. If you're a beginner and you don't know what to look for, it's easy to fall in that trap.

Back