Request For A Model - support bracket

zozeri

Hello All!

I am new to the forum and have recently ordered a 3d printer - arriving this week.

It might seem extreme but the reason for my purchase was that the handle on my oven has a missing plastic bracket that is impossible to replace, I have contacted the manufacturer and they have advised to order a new handle rather than the bracket (costs too much £££) so I have used this as an excuse to purchase a 3d printer :)

My question is will anyone here be willing to help me justify the cost of the 3d printer to my other half by designing the model of the bracket? If so I will post photos and measurements of the bracket.

It is quite a simple design and should not require much work but after around 8 hours of youtube tutorials I can not make something as precise as I need therefore I am appealing to the professionals.

Thanks in advanced!!!

Wow, how much is a new handle?! Is this even possible, can you make workable parts with a 3d printer? The best it would be is plastic, surely?

Hi Wardy,
Thank you for your reply :)
A new handle costs £120, I have spoke to the misses and she said they dont provide the bracket with the handle so its useless otherwise would of been the last resort.

Ill upload photos of the current bracket although its broken.

These first two photos are of the bracket attached to the handle.

IMG_5461_zpsksrman25.jpg
IMG_5462_zpsqhx5fwjs.jpg

I have removed the bracket to take clearer photos;
IMG_5465_zpshqz72axx.jpg

IMG_5466_zpsrbw7p3mj.jpg

Here is how a look at the inside of the bracket when attached to the handle;
IMG_5467_zpseppcv2t8.jpg

IMG_5468_zpsdnkyony0.jpg

And some shots of the measurements - although I forgot to measure height.
IMG_5464_zps3tjmdw9l.jpg
IMG_5463_zpsypviudkq.jpg

I can get more measurements or details if anyone would be nice enough to help,
Even if someone can come up with an alternative design doesn't have to be the same, just hold the handle in place.

p.s. I have tried to shrink the photo size but no luck - sorry for the large pics lol

Regards,

I still need to be convinced you can even do this with a 3D printer without spending hundreds if not thousands of pounds.

I have already spent the £££ on the 3d printer it was something I wanted to get anyway but needed an excuse,
no further expenses I just need the 3d design of the bracket to be able to print it in ABS plastic.

"no further expenses I just need the 3d design of the bracket" < This is where you may struggle!

Could you not make two brackets out of hard wood? Can't see how it attaches to the glass

Wardy... you can do it, it won't be as neatly finished without a lot of work though, might also have issues with heat with the types of plastic used and it would likely end up costing more to print (ignore modelling side of things) due to the process being used.

I could do the cad work but it wouldn't be cheap, to put into context you'd likely be able to buy a new cooker for how much it would cost for me to model that up from your info... now if it was the original schematics it would be cheaper.

Zozeri.... you might as well have just bought the part, a 3D printer is pretty useless to people unless they have the skills to use the software that models the parts for the printer.

WOW! Must be a good cooker to go to that expense.

I'd be inclined to do what four said and make some out of a decent hard wood. Looks perfectly doable.
Either that or fabricate some from some stainless or aluminium box section but it would need some inserts tig welding inside for the screw (drilled and tapped).

haha it was more of an excuse to get one,
The
Could you not make two brackets out of hard wood? Can't see how it attaches to the glass
Would prefer not to use wood as it looks too DIY

might also have issues with heat with the types of plastic used and it would likely end up costing more to print (ignore modelling side of things) due to the process being used.
The plastic will be ABS which is rigid and there is a variety of filaments that can withstand high temperatures although the glass door does not heat up as much as you would think.

I'd be inclined to do what four said and make some out of a decent hard wood. Looks perfectly doable.
Either that or fabricate some from some stainless or aluminium box section but it would need some inserts tig welding inside for the screw (drilled and tapped).
If I could fabricate out of any metal that would be a solution but in reality I am useless at these things and do not attain the tools needed to do so.

I have found a site online with cad designers charging as low as £5 for basic modelling, even at £10 if I could get the model it would be worth it as the brackets tend to break easily, first one completely disintegrated after a year or so and the second is barely holding itself together as you can see from the photos.

If I manage to get it modelled I will post photos of the final result if anyone will be curious to see this.

It'd be worth a go for that price and you could just crank them out for years to come. ;)

It looks a pretty flimsy construction though as in effect it looks like their are only two screws holding the bracket to the glass.

Yeh exactly, it will eventually break like the original ones have but I would be able to just 'print' another :)

the design is rubbish and I can only assume that everyone that has this oven model has a broken bracket.

I have found a site online with cad designers charging as low as £5 for basic modelling, even at £10 if I could get the model it would be worth it as the brackets tend to break easily, first one completely disintegrated after a year or so and the second is barely holding itself together as you can see from the photos.
ah the joys of crowdsourcing from places like india... where a days wage in the UK is enough to survive on for the entire year....

You are not far off - found a nice lady from Sri Lanka that agreed to get it done for £3.50 ($5)
seems like a very fair price, I will get all measurements sent to her by tonight and she should get it done in a couple days.

Looks promising!! interested to see if she will manage to recreate it from that mangled bit of plastic I sent her as a reference.

Any ideas on how to beef it up abit? maybe ill fill in some of the hollow bits.

Well the '1st world' countries wouldn't be classing that as a fair price.... £3.50 wouldn't even be enough to consider booting up the pc.

I'll happily design one which is more beefy for you but it wouldn't be at that stupidly low price you class as a 'fair price' :rolleyes:

Back